11+ content and dates

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mike Edwards

11+ content and dates

Post by Mike Edwards »

I am interested in collecting information about when the 11+ tests are sat in each LEA and what the content of the tests are.

Wirral LEA set two verbal reasoning papers that are NFER format.

This year the tests are 29th November and 6th December.

Thanks in advance of any replies.

Mike Edwards
KJ

Post by KJ »

Hi Mike,

Ihave some info for you. The London borough of Sutton has 5 grammar schools

Nonsuch High School for Girls and Wallington High School for Girls use the same paper on the 26/11 you can only apply to one school. There is a 40 minute maths paper and a multiple choice VR paper the test is fron 9am to 11.30.

Wallington county Grammar school (boys) 26/11 English paper of comprehension and a 20 minute essay 40% of mark. Maths paper30 minutes 40% of mark and 20 minute VR paper 20% of mark.

Sutton grammar school for boys 26/11 Multiple choice VR paper 50 minutes, English grammar and comprehension 30 minutes and 20 minute essay and a 35 minute Maths paper.

You can only apply to either Wallington County or Sutton Grammar.

Wilsons school (boys) sat on 3/1 only know they have VR test English test and Maths test.

All schools are massively over subscribed and many who pass the test still don't get places.
Parent @ QEBoys

Exam Dates

Post by Parent @ QEBoys »

The Queen Elizbeth's School for Boys in Barnet have set exam dates of:

2nd December 2005 for 1st set of 2 examinations

7th January 2006 for 2nd set of 2 examinations

Not everyone is invited for second set of examinations, only those boys who score more than 70% in the first two papers.

The four examinations are in:
Verbal Reasoning, Non-Verbal Reasoning, English and Mathematics

There are 180 places on offer, 20 for music scholars.

Application deadline is 21st October 2005.
Sleepless2

Grammar Schools of King Edward VI in Birmingham

Post by Sleepless2 »

"THE TEST
The test will be held on the morning of Saturday 5th November 2005.

Your child will sit two tests each of 45 minutes. The papers will be divided into smaller, individually timed sections that test literacy skills/verbal reasoning, non-verbal reasoning, mathematics and reading comprehension.

Children will write their answers in the test booklets and most of the questions will be multiple choice. The marks will be standardised to take account of differences in age and then added together.

Sample questions will be sent to you on receipt of your completed registration form. A range of publications designed to assist preparation for school admission tests are available from leading bookshops. Suitable practice papers are multiple choice style tests that cover Verbal Reasoning, Non Verbal Reasoning. Maths and Reading Comprehension. Neither the Foundation Office nor any of the schools keep past papers and these are not available from other sources."
Fairy

Trafford 11+

Post by Fairy »

The parents of children in the Trafford 11+ system don't seem to have caught up with this website yet, although I do keep telling them about it! But seriously, I wish more of them knew about this website as it is a very informative site which provides practical support for parents and tutors during a very stressful educational process.

In Trafford, the 11+ is to be held on October 15th when (for the first time), the candidates will take three papers, Verbal, Non-verbal & Maths, in one session at a designated secondary school. Prior to this year, the tests were taken within the child's own school, one paper at a time, usually over the course of several weeks. This change has come about because of the new teacher contracts and is not a change instigated by the LEA. The papers are all NFER style.

Unfortunately for many of the children, this is not the only hurdle they have to surmount to obtain a place in a state school, as the grammar schools in Altrincham have their own entrance exams (again the three tests in one session, plus a short composition) which take place on November 5th.

As each test is between 20 and 50 minutes long, this means that the children are under exam conditions for approx. three hours. Surely, this can't be right for 10-11 year olds (some of which are only just 10) considering that most 'A'-level modules are now less than three hours? It saddens me to think that our children (and their parents) are put under such stress so early in their education.

Thanks for put this topic under discussion, Mike, as I too find this information very interesting.

Ange
patricia

bucks content and dates

Post by patricia »

Bucks dates 6 October and 12 October - results 2 december

Content 5 sessions of familiarisation take place in school
3 practice papers in school
2 actual tests in school - only have to pass 1

nfer verbal reasoning 80 questions 50 minutes
pass mark approx 86% varies each year depending on the cohort taking the test

Hope this helps with your records. :)
Jane

Grammar Schools in Lincolnshire

Post by Jane »

Dear Mike,

My daughter takes her first eleven plus paper tomorrow at our local Grammar School, in South Lincolnshire. 100 questions in 50 minutes. It is the verbal reasoning standard format. The second test is on 12th November, the same format. We have to wait until February for the results.

Our biggest problem however, which I am sure is common for many people who use this site, is that we have to state our school preference, not only before the result is known but before the second test has even happened.

I have not seen a "real" eleven plus paper, but my daughter has done quite well with the two practice ones at school. Please keep your fingers crossed for her tomorrow. And good luck to everyone else.

Post by Guest »

Hope everything went well yesterday Jane!

I really must register on this site. lmao
michellehey

Re: 11+ content and dates

Post by michellehey »

My son sat his 11+ test in Warwickshire the dates are below.

Monday 24th October Practice paper 9.30am till 11.45am

Wednesday 26th October 9.30 - 10.45am Verbal reasoning 1 (45 min Test)

Thursday 27th October 9.30 - 11.30am Verbal reasoning 2 and Essay
(45 mins test 30mins essay)

Not sure what type of tests they were as I wasnt told and am a bit new to this. Hope this helps you.
KenR

King Edward VI B/Ham Supplemental

Post by KenR »

Hi Mike,

Some supplemental information to that provided by Sleepless above on the Birmingham KEG exams on the 5th Nov 2005. The exams are administrated by the "University of Durham, Curriculum, Evaluation & Management Centre", they switched from NFER about 3 years ago.

The format is quite different to other format and the Schools/LEA and the CEM refuse to provide practice papers. The is a new interested message on the Univ of Durham CEM web site:-

"Advice for Parents: There are no practice materials available for the CEM Centre entrance tests. This means that every child is given a fair opportunity on the day. The tests examine how a child deals with novel situations. Where possible the tests are presented as games and puzzles."

There are move details on this test on other postings - the first paper for example included a 10 mins section on Synonyms - 81 questions to answer in 10 mins - about 1 every 7 secs??

I would be interested to hear is other LEAs are moving towards the Durham CEM approach - also it might be sensible for tutors to develop material suitable for this type of test. No good for my family - my son did the test on the 5th Nov.

Regards Ken R

PS I disagree totally with the comments from the Durham CEM about every child being given a fair opportunity on the day (implying without the need for Tutoring). Any child trying to do the test with significant Non VR/VR, Maths or English 11+ practice tests would be severely disadvantaged. The first year the test was run using CEM material there were scores of children who came out in tears and lots of Appeals to the LEA!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now