Reading Boys - English

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sensible mum

Reading Boys - English

Post by sensible mum »

My son scores around 75% - 80% in NFER & Bond multiple choice papers in English. Is this score good enough or he has to improve a lot.
Also in the exam can he first attempt the grammar question & then do comprehension as he seems to get tired by the end of comprehension & not be able to concentrate on grammar ques at end & seems to be making silly mistakes.
Which other ques papers can be used for English for Reading Boys.
Any advise on how to improve the score in english are welcome as well.
Many Thanks.
stevew61

Re: Reading Boys - English

Post by stevew61 »

sensible mum wrote:Is this score good enough-- in the exam can he first attempt the grammar question & then do comprehension --Which other ques papers can be used for English for Reading Boys.
Any advise on how to improve the score in english are welcome as well.
Many Thanks.
Hi sensible mum,

Scores are good and you have time to improve :) all depends on what happens on the day, is your son stronger on maths, reasoning (VR/NVR) and essay? Aiming for average of 85% is good, are your son's scores affected by exam conditions?

Paper is in sections, two years ago it was sixty five questions in fifty minutes but you could work through the paper and go back. I would be concerned about skipping sections, it can lead to dithering (wasting time) and getting out of sequence on the answer sheet. I would suggest working through the paper in question order. It was a series of short comprehensions rather than a long one.

Other papers look at e-papers on this site Tuition For You & Learning Together also have a look at KS2 English papers. Not multiple choice but good for extending skills. :)

How to improve skills, I struggled on English and had to get a tutor a recent graduate who was young and fun in my boys eyes, I set the papers and they worked through them.

For most boys at Reading English is I think the key paper so you are on the right track.

Good luck,

stevew61
sensible mum

Post by sensible mum »

Thanks for the input Steve.
My son is good in Maths, VR/NVR. Not too good in essay writing. Scores about 90-94% on them. No, he is not affected by exam conditions. He just about manages to finish the ques in time in all the papers.
I think if it is short comprehensions, he will be fine hopefully (he seems to be struggling with the long comprehensions). Does the e-papers contains small comprehensions.
Is it possible for you to give me the tutor details & how much he charges etc.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

sensible mum,

Can not recommend tutors but will send you a PM of where to look.

Short comprehensions look at KS2 exams.

Reading maths papers is comparatively easy, English not difficult but more questions than usual so a test of speed and accuracy. I agree the short comprehensions are easier more a test of quick reading, the long ones can involve a lot of analysis and interpretation. :cry:

Your average looks good. Essay is short , find some basic tips, make sure you answer the question (read it twice) and demonstrate basic English skills. :) I feel this goes to a higher level but have a look at,

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/english_essays.php

stevew61
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Hi Steve

In the Reading Boys English exam, roughly:

1) How many comprehension passages are there?

2) How many questions per each comprehension passage are there?

Many thanks
Optimist
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Optimist,

English, NFER paper four (?) short comprehensions ( a bit like KS2 paper but half the time ! but it is multiple choice ) plus three sections spot spelling mistake, spot grammar error, best word? 65 questions a bit of a shock
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=1687

That was feedback from 2006, Reading do not publish format so be prepared for the unexpected.

Seven sections by roughly nine questions each gives 63 questions, I think the key is several mini comprehensions rather than one large one, but it could change. :roll: We prepared for a typical long NFER type comprehension so you are one step ahead of us with this knowledge. :)

steve
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now