Bursary places - extra costs

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MCLC

Bursary places - extra costs

Post by MCLC »

I just wondered if anyone had any idea whether books, uniform etc were more expensive at an independent school? I understand that there are more compulsory educational trips but that they tend to be in the UK and aren't completely unaffordable. I am trying to understand what the hidden costs may be in this case?
Sla212

Re: Bursary places - extra costs

Post by Sla212 »

Books & trips during the school day are usually included in the fees.

School uniform basics - trousers, shirts etc - can be bought from the the high street rather the school shop. Many indies have regular secondhand uniform sales.

Uniform is probably expensive as an initial outlay....but having already been to a 2nd hand sale this year (our first year there) I'll never need to buy brand new PE kit again!

Bursaries often include optional music lessons & contributions towards overseas school trips too.
Last edited by Sla212 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You need to check with the school - books are free in a state school [except perhaps for GCSE English texts so students can annotate] but some Private schools do charge for texts.

Uniform can vary - some use Harrods and that will be expensive. This should be on the school website.
Sla212

Post by Sla212 »

Most schools have their own school shops these days.

I have spent a small fortune on my daughter's textbooks at her state school!

Schools vary!!
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

Thanks all. I've looked at the school shop on the website but unfortunately there are no prices online. I will go to the high street for as much as possible regardless of which school she does go to if I can and will happily go to the second hand sales too. School lunch isn't included so I've factored that cost in too. She currently takes a packed lunch to her state school.
nylon14

Post by nylon14 »

I'd check the small print. Quite often the bursary will cover text books and provide a discount on travel expenses, etc.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sla212 wrote: I have spent a small fortune on my daughter's textbooks at her state school
Are these compulsory? A state school cannot make you pay for textbooks.
Last edited by Guest55 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sla212

Post by Sla212 »

Compulsory in that if she hadn't had them studying would have been extremely difficult.

She's now Yr12 & it's been getting worse year on year since Yr7. The school apologise but they have no funds. The information is not online & photocopying for a class of students is not a viable option.

It's crazy....what people do who really can't afford it, I really don't know.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They can't make people pay - it's illegal - I expect there was a clause about writing to the Head?
Sla212

Post by Sla212 »

Guest55 wrote:They can't make people pay - it's illegal - I expect there was a clause about writing to the Head?
No. Because we all understand the school's position & understand that you can't study without books & the school can't afford books! This is a large state secondary in a middle class area of N London. You do whatever it takes to support your child.

For one of her subjects she has 4 study days coming up at £25 each....I wondered aloud to my daughter at students whose parents simply can't afford these days....she's says quite a few of them can't. She says the teachers are finding a way for them to go...because these days are timetabled & so in theory compulsory.

Book sharing goes on & students help each other out - but we all buy the books & I don't consider the school to blame, it's just how it is.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now