Generation Gifted new documentary feat. Bham and Tamworth

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ricky74

Generation Gifted new documentary feat. Bham and Tamworth

Post by Ricky74 »

This new programme based around social mobilty starts next week. Ep1 features a year 9 pupil in Birmingham who wants to go to a Bham grammar sixth form. I hope there will be some positive outcomes when the final shows air in three years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/progin ... /07/gifted" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Goodbyekitty

Re: Generation Gifted new documentary feat. Bham and Tamwort

Post by Goodbyekitty »

Ricky74 this looks so interesting! Can't wait to see it.
It's a bit like the C4 child genius programme a few years ago whuch followed the lives of a few gifted children and they revisited them every year to follow their progresses.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Ricky74 wrote:This new programme based around social mobilty starts next week. Ep1 features a year 9 pupil in Birmingham who wants to go to a Bham grammar sixth form. I hope there will be some positive outcomes when the final shows air in three years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/progin ... /07/gifted" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you for your timely reminder.I had seen a couple of promos for the programme and was intending to put the programme on record.I have now done so.I hope we get some new insights.These might come from the later programmes filmed in future years.I wonder whether we will be able to spot those children who will succeed from their family backgrounds ?
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

I didn't watch that one Kitty, sounds good (I did see some of the scary other CG programme though :o )

Then I guess there was Child of our Time but my favourite, Seven Up was bittersweet. The little boy who wanted to be an astronaut and was then homeless by 28 but was helped out by another participant is a powerful story.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/cult ... o-far.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A_Mum

Post by A_Mum »

I watched this last night, very sobering. 3 very different girls with 3 very different talents. I really hope they all do well, they deserve it so much. Very interesting, I believe the next episode is following 3 boys.
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

A_Mum wrote:I watched this last night, very sobering. 3 very different girls with 3 very different talents. I really hope they all do well, they deserve it so much. Very interesting, I believe the next episode is following 3 boys.
A Mum agreed. Very teary at times. Can't wait for next wks episode. Also will be interesting to see their progression through the next 3 yrs.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Yes it was moving and I am willing them all on.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I posted about this on the Everything Else section. I have been wondering if it is too far to go to Port Talbot to offer some free tutoring and mentoring to that astonishing young lady. I hope someone nearer to her does so - she is amazing and utterly lovely with it. I was so upset at the lack of confidence they showed - it made you want to hug them.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It was great to see that they all had teachers who really believed in them and encouraged them to push themselves.

The boys are on tonight. It will be interesting to see if they are different in any way.

I will be making sure my dds watch it so they can appreciate how lucky they are and what other students have to contend with in order to have the chance to do well.

I found it very moving. Education is clearly their passport to a better life. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now