habs offer - anyone?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
beoptima

Re: habs offer - anyone?

Post by beoptima »

Dear all,

thanks for your help so far. We are considering habs boys but as relocation is needed and looking for DS to go by coach. Would St Albans be ideal location (around 5 miles from HABS) as Bushey etc seem very expensive to purchase a property

thanks
persereving18

Post by persereving18 »

How come you didn't look into houses before sitting so many exams?...
St Albans is very far from habs. Better off near Stanmore, edgware or borehamwood if price is a factor.
mad?

Post by mad? »

beoptima wrote:Dear all,

thanks for your help so far. We are considering habs boys but as relocation is needed and looking for DS to go by coach. Would St Albans be ideal location (around 5 miles from HABS) as Bushey etc seem very expensive to purchase a property
thanks
Well if you have to move anyway, move somewhere where your DS will not be stuck using the coach!
mad?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

St Albans is absolutely NOT very far from HABS but it is a lot more expensive than places very close by like Hatfield. You are paying for the City location and good state schools in St Albans.

I would check out the coach routes and look for somewhere on the coach route ideally so your ds can walk home from the coach so you don't have to arrange to meet him off the coach every day and get him there in the morning. DG
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

mad? wrote:
beoptima wrote:Dear all,

thanks
Well if you have to move anyway, move somewhere where your DS will not be stuck using the coach!
There's not much availability within walking distance or public transport from Habs. I suspect everyone needs mum taxi or the coach.
But the logical thing to do is look at coach routes and see where you can afford within walking distance of those.
St Albans is very expensive and there are definitely cheaper options (Hatfield as DG says or Borehamwood though other school options for younger children might be more of an issue there).
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Google says it's 19 minutes from a public bus stop? - lots of the students at our nearest grammar schools do a longer walk than this - i know this, as we live about that walk from the schools, more ore less on their route and the station they walk from is about five minutes further away.
Last edited by ToadMum on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Yes there is public transport but I'm not convinced there are many routes. I could be wrong. It always seems in the middle of nowhere to me!
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

No you're right. Relatively easy bus journey from Borehamwood...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

loobylou wrote:No you're right. Relatively easy bus journey from Borehamwood...
And if it's a Tfl bus route, completely free, once you've invested in the Zip Oyster card?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
persereving18

Post by persereving18 »

Check out the schools first...Pinner have some great primary schools if you are looking for State options.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now