RMS vs St Helens

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anna88

RMS vs St Helens

Post by anna88 »

Hi, We are debating between RMS(40% Scholarship) vs St Helens for our DD. We could not find latest info on RMS as much as we could on St Helens so any thoughts/feedback on RMS would be great. Thanks
Daogroupie

Re: RMS vs St Helens

Post by Daogroupie »

St Helens is a much more academic school than RMS.

Most of the students I know of use RMS as a back up and found the exam very easy compared to Habs, St Albans and the Consortium.

Their sport is strong if that is something your dd is interested in but you might find the academic peer group is not as strong as it would be at St Helens. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

From what I hear RMS is changing and becoming more academic under the new Head.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I know nothing about St Helens.
I have an acquaintance with a dd at RMS. She was sent there because it was very important to her father that she went to a school which was prestigious but she had no chance of getting in to any of the other local indies (this is according to her mother; I don't know the child at all). Her siblings are all at very academic indies.
The mum is reasonably happy with the school. I think there are a lot of exceptionally wealthy families there. Her child has to get a taxi there and it's a 70-90 minute journey each way. I do not think the mum thinks it is worth that (or the amount her ex pays for it) but then few schools are going to be worth that.
I once heard someone saying that it attracted the clotted cream of society's girls (extremely rich and extremely th**k - not my words, don't judge :shock: ) but that was a few years ago (my grandma lives half a mile from the school so used to know staff etc there) and it sounds from what G55 says as though there may be changes happening?
anna88

Post by anna88 »

Thanks all, It is slightly worrying. DD also has 25% Scholarship offer from NC however is more inclined in going to RMS or St Helens. We also did not find NC stand out from facilities perspective
CandyCrush

Post by CandyCrush »

If your dd isn't warming to NC, it looks like you need to decide between RMS and St Helen's.

My dd is at St Helen's and yes, it is an academic school. Girls who struggle at St Helen's often leave to join RMS.

Have a look at both schools' GCSE results. RMS offer a broad range of subjects including Astronomy, Business Studies, Food and Nutrition, Performing Arts and Textiles - St Helen's tend to focus on the traditional subjects.

If your dd is more creative then perhaps RMS is the best fit (especially given the generous scholarship). If she's more academic and you can cope with the full fees, go with St Helen's.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

CandyCrush wrote:If your dd isn't warming to NC, it looks like you need to decide between RMS and St Helen's.

My dd is at St Helen's and yes, it is an academic school. Girls who struggle at St Helen's often leave to join RMS.

Have a look at both schools' GCSE results. RMS offer a broad range of subjects including Astronomy, Business Studies, Food and Nutrition, Performing Arts and Textiles - St Helen's tend to focus on the traditional subjects.

If your dd is more creative then perhaps RMS is the best fit (especially given the generous scholarship). If she's more academic and you can cope with the full fees, go with St Helen's.
Sorry, I must challenge this - Astronomy is not an easy GCSE nor is Technology [Food and Textiles] or Performing Arts - please don't 'write off' subjects that are valued at many Grammar Schools. There is no divide between creative and academic - it sounds like St Helens just offers 'old fashioned' GCSEs and has a narrow view of 'being educated'.
duopop

Post by duopop »

Hello anna88
We live local and know many families with girls at RMS as well as St Helens. RMS cater very well for all abilities and we know families who have turned down Hab's for a more local school so that they can participate in sports and all the extra curricular activities the school has to offer. I know of another child who is turning down a top independent school offer as well as a scholarship offers from the consortium schools for RMS this year. There will be other academic children at the school so don't worry. Pastoral care is very strong and the school offers a wide range of subjects. All the families we know at the school are very happy and talk highly of the new head. I hear the teachers are very helpful and they run subject clinics for most subjects. The focus is getting the best out of every child (not just academics). They stream for more subjects so your daughter will not be held back. Hope that helps!
hertslady

Post by hertslady »

My daughter is at RMS. I'm incredibly happy with the school, it is better in every way than I had hoped for. My daughter had never been singled out as being particularly good at anything at junior school. Within the first term the teachers knew her very well and had spotted all sorts of interesting and talented things about her, encouraged her and told us about them. I am totally in their debt.
I went to Oxbridge and have been very impressed by the academic standard of the lessons and teachers. As an aside - you have more chance of your daughter going from a school that doesn't send many to these universities - bear this in mind when you choose a school if that is what your daughter might be going for.
The girls are probably not as academic on average as at St Helens because it is a comprehensive intake but they seem to be selected for having something more to add to the other girls' all round education than those who are not selected and/or because the staff at RMS feel they can benefit from what RMS has to offer.
Negative points are - there are some people with a lot of disposable income at the school (as well as many who are probably not able to spend anything on themselves once the fees are paid). There can be a lot of peer pressure to spend on fashionable clothes etc.
CandyCrush

Post by CandyCrush »

hertslady wrote:My daughter is at RMS. I'm incredibly happy with the school, it is better in every way than I had hoped for. My daughter had never been singled out as being particularly good at anything at junior school. Within the first term the teachers knew her very well and had spotted all sorts of interesting and talented things about her, encouraged her and told us about them. I am totally in their debt.
I went to Oxbridge and have been very impressed by the academic standard of the lessons and teachers. As an aside - you have more chance of your daughter going from a school that doesn't send many to these universities - bear this in mind when you choose a school if that is what your daughter might be going for.
The girls are probably not as academic on average as at St Helens because it is a comprehensive intake but they seem to be selected for having something more to add to the other girls' all round education than those who are not selected and/or because the staff at RMS feel they can benefit from what RMS has to offer.
Negative points are - there are some people with a lot of disposable income at the school (as well as many who are probably not able to spend anything on themselves once the fees are paid). There can be a lot of peer pressure to spend on fashionable clothes etc.
I like your post hertslady - very informative and balanced. Personally, I loved RMS when I viewed it a few years ago - it had a good vibe and the girls were fun and energetic. I thought my dd would love it there but she had her heart set on St Helen's. I know lots of mums who are extremely happy with RMS. I understand the girls who left St Helen's to join RMS haven't looked back.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now