Elise Christie

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kenyancowgirl

Elise Christie

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I am glued to the Olympics and loving it, except for one thing....

Does anyone else think that EC is a bit of a drama queen? As soon as she fell the second time, into the pads, we all called that she wasn't going to end up injured but felt she was putting it on because she was embarrassed. All the people in her camp being interviewed seem uncomfortable as if they are trying to support an injury story they don't believe in. I now feel she has her get out clause if she falls or doesn't medal today and will be an elevated hero if she does medal.

Contrast with Lizzie Yarnold whose positivity is infectious, who gets on and does the job, doesn't doubt herself yet is so gracious to everyone else and whose interviews are a dream.

Maybe it's just me....!!!
scary mum

Re: Elise Christie

Post by scary mum »

I see where you are coming from kcg, although I hadn't thought of it like that.
What I would like to now is why it is necessary to wear false eyelashes to compete in the winter Olympics? :lol: :roll:
scary mum
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I am totally in awe of what Elise Christie has achieved in her sport. She is a world record holder and triple world champion. You'd have to be pretty cynical to believe that she was faking that injury - if she was, surely she just wouldn't have bothered to compete today.

She was limping after that first fall today and still finished 1,000 meters of skating after the re-start. I am heartbroken for her.

And who cares if she wears falsies? Get a grip!
mad?

Post by mad? »

Gosh that interview she just gave, poor girl, glad I'm not her mother, must be agony to watch
mad?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

streathammum wrote:I am totally in awe of what Elise Christie has achieved in her sport. She is a world record holder and triple world champion. You'd have to be pretty cynical to believe that she was faking that injury - if she was, surely she just wouldn't have bothered to compete today.

She was limping after that first fall today and still finished 1,000 meters of skating after the re-start. I am heartbroken for her.

And who cares if she wears falsies? Get a grip!
All true. And I get that she has some really passionate supporters - and such a shame for the other Brits in the short track who actually did as well as her in this games. Hopefully since the interview she has now watched her race and realised that she did infringe twice to get the combined penalties/yellow card - possibly she hasn't had the chance yet as she was doing interviews with most of the global press - I am disappointed for Team GB that she didn't perform as she wanted, but I just personally don't wholly warm to her. I said, maybe it's just me. And, as I also said, contrast with Lizzie Yarnold, ditto amazing achievements...hideous chest infection which meant she almost passed out when she finished her first run, and nearly pulled out, but just got on with it. I guess I just prefer that understated performance. Just my opinion....
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

And I am not warming up to this thread either.

Poor Elise Christie.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
All true. And I get that she has some really passionate supporters - and such a shame for the other Brits in the short track who actually did as well as her in this games. Hopefully since the interview she has now watched her race and realised that she did infringe twice to get the combined penalties/yellow card - possibly she hasn't had the chance yet as she was doing interviews with most of the global press - I am disappointed for Team GB that she didn't perform as she wanted, but I just personally don't wholly warm to her. I said, maybe it's just me. And, as I also said, contrast with Lizzie Yarnold, ditto amazing achievements...hideous chest infection which meant she almost passed out when she finished her first run, and nearly pulled out, but just got on with it. I guess I just prefer that understated performance. Just my opinion....
I like Lizzie Yarnold too - it's not an either/or. But Lizzie hasn't been as consistent as Elise in the period between the last games and this one.

Lizzie is lovely and articulate and jolly and wholesome - no false eyelashses there - but you've found Elise, who is by any standards an exceptional athlete - hard to warm to. Fine, but be honest about why that might be.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I beg your pardon? Please don't imply it's because I don't like her make up!!! I was NOT the one who made the comment about her eyelashes!!!

I would admire her more if she owned her mistakes - even in this last interview she said she was kicked at the start: all the experts in the box conceded she had skated into the Hungarian; she couldn't understand why she was yellow carded - the experts pointed out the two penalties where she pushed the other skaters (which, if it had happened to her everyone would be baying about!)

As Lizzie said "pressure is a privilege" - she thrives on it, Elise crumbles under it. That is OK (if you ignore the thousands in tax payer money that is being poured into both) but not if she continues to blame others for her poor performance. She is 27/28 not a self centred teenager...

But, it has NOTHING to do with the way she or Lizzie looks so please get that right streathamum.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

And I wasn't even particularly commenting on her eyelashes, it was more of a general comment, something I have noticed at these games! It was intended to be lighthearted, my apologies if it has offended anyone!
scary mum
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I read it as that scary mum...but we are becoming a nation where humour often gets overlooked, sadly. It's interesting as she is an athlete that really polarises opinions - that much is evidenced on social media.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now