KCS vs CLSB

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

newtothislondonmum

KCS vs CLSB

Post by newtothislondonmum »

KCS is a very good school but a bit a travel time of 1 and 1/2 hours atleast. CLSB is just 40 mins on train. We are really torn apart on this. DD likes CLSB because it seems like a fun school while DH likes KCS. School also recommends KCS more. We are very confused. We waiting two more results to be out then things will be even worse. Please could experienced parents give me some prospective on what to look for in these schools when going with a decision making view. We are going to CLSB tomorrow for offer morning. I don't think KCS offeres these kind of offer morning.

On contrary, would you rather send the child to a grammer school? He has always been to a private.
Tinkers

Re: KCS vs CLSB

Post by Tinkers »

That length of travel would put me off tbh, especially when you say at least. That’s a lot of travel time for a young child to be doing when they could be doing lots of other stuff.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Tinkers wrote:That length of travel would put me off tbh, especially when you say at least. That’s a lot of travel time for a young child to be doing when they could be doing lots of other stuff.
+1, completely, especially across London.
mad?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

+2.....especially if, ascyou seem to imply, that is one way....potentially that is over 3 hours travel a day, ontop of school...and, if it is across London, 3 wasted hours a day, as it is impossible to do homework well on the tube or a bus....
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

+3, but how DD managed to get into KCS or CLSB?

Hopefully the other two choices are nearer to home.
Hopefulgardener

Post by Hopefulgardener »

Indeed, any travel time longer than 45’ would be a definite no for us. Would your child use KCS school buses or public transport?
Schoolrunmum

Post by Schoolrunmum »

newtothislondonmum wrote:KCS is a very good school but a bit a travel time of 1 and 1/2 hours atleast. CLSB is just 40 mins on train. We are really torn apart on this. DD likes CLSB because it seems like a fun school while DH likes KCS. School also recommends KCS more. We are very confused. We waiting two more results to be out then things will be even worse. Please could experienced parents give me some prospective on what to look for in these schools when going with a decision making view. We are going to CLSB tomorrow for offer morning. I don't think KCS offeres these kind of offer morning.

On contrary, would you rather send the child to a grammer school? He has always been to a private.
A little confused. CLSB is a boys school so have you mixed up the name or did you mean DS? Also, the offer holders day is on a different date, according to our invite.
Hopefulgardener

Post by Hopefulgardener »

I believe she meant 13+ entry, which had their Open Morning today.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Another vote against such a long journey time here. Imagine adding that on to your ?DS’s day after a concert practice or sports practice after school, and still with homework to do. Or for you travelling back and forth there for parents’ evenings, concerts etc etc. Three hours’ travelling a day is huge.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

Assuming you have a boy, not a daughter, and you really mean CLSB...
DS goes to CLSB and has an easy commute with no transfer and a seat, but the whole thing door to door is 50 min on a good day, but often a good hour, and it is already too long and boring. Anything above 1 hour is not a good idea. CLSB is great in many aspects, no idea about KCS. And yes I would certainly go for grammar even after a private primary, particularly if it is more local to you, there will be loads of kids in a similar situation.