Predicted grades now A level are linear

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
CarpeDiem

Predicted grades now A level are linear

Post by CarpeDiem »

Now that A levels are linear how do the school assess predicted grades for the UCAS application. Previously AS grades were used but what are schools/colleges to use now?
Guest55

Re: Predicted grades now A level are linear

Post by Guest55 »

Some are still doing AS levels - otherwise it'll be class tests and a lot of guesswork!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

CarpeDiem wrote:Now that A levels are linear how do the school assess predicted grades for the UCAS application. Previously AS grades were used but what are schools/colleges to use now?
Good question CarpeDiem. In the day before AS levels they based it on your Mocks, tempered with teacher knowledge of the student to know if it was majorly out. My teachers were spot on with my predictions despite doing badly in mocks due to a major illness at mock test time that affected my performance. I wonder if they will revert to how it used to be or if there are there better more modern methods now?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A levels were linear before but some teachers have never taught anything other than modular ...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DD's school has dropped AS levels (although not all in our area have), but they still have 'mocks' in a couple of weeks' time and end of year exams in June. So plenty of exam results to base A level predictions on, as well as class work.

Although, realising that I couldn't remember what, if anything, we were told about it in the year 12 presentation, I asked DD - and she couldn't, either... :shock:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
copella

Post by copella »

We had a letter from my son's school this week confirming predictions would be based on summer mock exams.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

copella wrote:We had a letter from my son's school this week confirming predictions would be based on summer mock exams.
I hope they aren't using 2017 papers as they have been extensively leaked.
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

Thanks for the reply Guest55.
We are in an unusual situation as my DD is studying a music course equivalent in UCAS points to two A levels (over one year) whilst at the same time doing home study for two academic A levels. Obviously we will get her predicted grades for the music course she is doing at College but not for the A level first year syllabus she is studying at home. Unless I can get a school or college to assess her I am not sure what we can do regarding predicted grades in these. Do you have any suggestions?
We have approached a number of schools/colleges regarding her joining year 13 in September but as this is not the norm we are still waiting to hear if this is possible.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You can't be the first in this situation. Presumably you will have results from the Music course? I would contact unis you are considering and see what they say. She could sit the AS levels privately but you'd need to act quickly on this.

It might be difficult to find a school willing to take someone into Year 13 -
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

Yes she will have Music final results by August. She already has offers of University places based on these results alone for September but a) she does not really want to start Uni at 17 and b) the Uni she really would like would require at least one more A level. Didn't really want to pay for AS level exams just for a grade prediction as she would be taking both subjects forward so they will not really count for anything but that. Looks like our best options are carrying on with home study (in the absence of any year 13 offers) then take the A levels next Summer and then have GAP year (which is something she was thinking of anyway) so we can apply with the actual results.
Makes me wonder if you had to relocate part way through year 12 what would happen as it seems so difficult to get a year 13 place although technically children have to remain in education until 18. It was so much simpler when I was 18, I did two one year A levels at night school as I was working full time.They no longer seem to offer this at colleges nearby just GCSEs and BTECs.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now