Y6's interested in Crypt.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cazien

Re: Y6's interested in Crypt.

Post by cazien »

Amber wrote: So do you think they will have unfilled places on March 1? That would be interesting.
That wouldn't be anything new for Crypt - they have been undersubscribed for 3 out of the last 6 years on allocations day. I believe Pates have been undersubscribed as well recently.

I guess there are a number of reasons why:
- ranked students opting for a private education
- parents moving out of the area
- students with "low" rank opting for "safe" comp
- parents deciding (after the event!) that travelling to the school is not feasible/expensive
- School/exam board not ranking enough students
- with PAN's of Grammar Schools changing nearly every year
- estimating the number of drop outs
- not wanting to over-rank leaving too many without places therefore inundating school appeal panels

And of course just not wanting that school - even though they share results with it. :roll:
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

I think that the problem is that there are 1020 grammar places in Gloucester and Crypt have attempted to position themselves, for this year's intake, to take children in highest-scoring half of the grammar school cohort. In previous years, the top 150 would mostly have gone to Pate's, the next 120 boys would mostly have gone to STRS and the next 270 girls would mostly have gone to SHS and HSFG. Crypt and Marling would be taking the 270 lower-scoring boys, and Ribston the lower-scoring girls. MASS GENERALISATION ALERT, but you get the picture.

Someone has to take the children who rank between 900 and 1020 in the Grammar test, and in previous years, most of those would have gone to Crypt, Marling and Ribston. By restricting themselves to the top 600, Crypt seem to have got their place in the market completely wrong (or perhaps it was a deliberate attempt to raise results by attracting higher scorers in its intake.)

I can't imagine that Crypt is only 1 or 2 off its allocation, otherwise they wouldn't be setting up open days and talking about late tests, appeals and trying to get people to change their minds. If they were 1 or 2 off, they'd fill that with re-allocations in any case. I expect they are some way below their allocation to be taking this sort of action.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Lysander wrote:I think that the problem is that there are 1020 grammar places in Gloucester and Crypt have attempted to position themselves, for this year's intake, to take children in highest-scoring half of the grammar school cohort. In previous years, the top 150 would mostly have gone to Pate's, the next 120 boys would mostly have gone to STRS and the next 270 girls would mostly have gone to SHS and HSFG. Crypt and Marling would be taking the 270 lower-scoring boys, and Ribston the lower-scoring girls. MASS GENERALISATION ALERT, but you get the picture.

Someone has to take the children who rank between 900 and 1020 in the Grammar test, and in previous years, most of those would have gone to Crypt, Marling and Ribston. By restricting themselves to the top 600, Crypt seem to have got their place in the market completely wrong (or perhaps it was a deliberate attempt to raise results by attracting higher scorers in its intake.)

I can't imagine that Crypt is only 1 or 2 off its allocation, otherwise they wouldn't be setting up open days and talking about late tests, appeals and trying to get people to change their minds. If they were 1 or 2 off, they'd fill that with re-allocations in any case. I expect they are some way below their allocation to be taking this sort of action.
Do you care to elaborate on the content of the meeting?
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Crypt had a PAN of 112 last year but added an extra form but didn’t or couldn’t increase their PAN so there were probably quite a few successful appeals and perhaps some degree of re consideration...
I’d guess they are trying to be transparent in encouraging parents to come talk to them to see what their options might be.

The key thing is having good alternative academic evidence to appeal
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Which meeting, stroudydad?
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Lysander wrote:
It sounded as if you had attended one
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Amber wrote:I reckon you are spot on Lysander. In fact I predicted something like this back in October - see the following thread for a discussion on it.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 7&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amber last year wrote:FWIW my hunch here is that Crypt understandably have no idea what to expect and therefore ranked down low. So while it may appear on the face of it that it is 'harder' to get into Crypt than Tommies this year, I would be really surprised if that turns out to be the case in reality and that lower ranked boys at Crypt will get places because more of the higher ranked ones will choose Tommies. STR has been the harder to get into by some margin for years and I cannot think that the Crypt decision to allow girls in is going to affect that, but they are feeling their way as they have absolutely no sense of how appealing they will be to the female applicants.
I think there is a perception that it is really hard to qualify for a GS place in Gloucestershire, but it actually isn't, not once you have crossed the first hurdle of coming from a home where your parents put you in for the test. Whether you qualify for the GS your family had in mind, however, is a different point.
I find the comment that it’s not difficult to qualify for Glos grammars quite bizarre. My children go to a good local state primary where a good number do pass but there are many, many disappointed children every year. Always surprises me how many bright, local children in ‘top set’ do not qualify & are devastated.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

In terms of Crypt, the first co-ed year will always be a slow burner & if it is low in numbers will fill up with in year admissions. Friends I know with girls who’ve passed have picked Pates or hsfg as altho they were very impressed with Crypt & would’ve been very happy with it they couldn’t predict how many girls would be in the first year so didn’t want their dds to be 1 of a possibly tiny number. I’m quite happy tho as my ds is pretty guaranteed a place for Crypt being top 150 for Tommies & ranking for Pates so happy days :D
Kaybee

Post by Kaybee »

Watermelon8 wrote:
Amber wrote:I reckon you are spot on Lysander. In fact I predicted something like this back in October - see the following thread for a discussion on it.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 7&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amber last year wrote:FWIW my hunch here is that Crypt understandably have no idea what to expect and therefore ranked down low. So while it may appear on the face of it that it is 'harder' to get into Crypt than Tommies this year, I would be really surprised if that turns out to be the case in reality and that lower ranked boys at Crypt will get places because more of the higher ranked ones will choose Tommies. STR has been the harder to get into by some margin for years and I cannot think that the Crypt decision to allow girls in is going to affect that, but they are feeling their way as they have absolutely no sense of how appealing they will be to the female applicants.
I think there is a perception that it is really hard to qualify for a GS place in Gloucestershire, but it actually isn't, not once you have crossed the first hurdle of coming from a home where your parents put you in for the test. Whether you qualify for the GS your family had in mind, however, is a different point.
I find the comment that it’s not difficult to qualify for Glos grammars quite bizarre. My children go to a good local state primary where a good number do pass but there are many, many disappointed children every year. Always surprises me how many bright, local children in ‘top set’ do not qualify & are devastated.

I completely agree with you Watermelon. We know quite a few children who very surprisingly didn't qualify and it seemed to be a tough year (especially for boys?)
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

[/quote]I find the comment that it’s not difficult to qualify for Glos grammars quite bizarre. My children go to a good local state primary where a good number do pass but there are many, many disappointed children every year. Always surprises me how many bright, local children in ‘top set’ do not qualify & are devastated.[/quote]

I completely agree with you Watermelon. We know quite a few children who very surprisingly didn't qualify and it seemed to be a tough year (especially for boys?)[/quote]

Yes!! My son has come in for major stick at school from the other high passing boys who qualified for Pates/Tommies/Crypt because he’s picked Crypt (‘why haven’t you picked the best schools? Why are you ‘only’ going to Crypt!’....er, because it’s a great sch & we prefer it - but that’s a whole different post!! The snobbery is ridiculous :roll: )
There are at least 5 others who really wanted Crypt but only got Marling & others who got nothing. They’re all bright....it’s heartbreaking to see :( & certainly not ‘easy’ to get a place!
Last edited by Watermelon8 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now