Y6's interested in Crypt.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
stroudydad

Re: Y6's interested in Crypt.

Post by stroudydad »

Watermelon8 wrote: Yes, I agree! Children are going to be travelling all over :( I wish Crypt had ranked lower as the 5 boys I know really like Marling but don’t ideally want to catch a train to school everyday so wanted Crypt but can’t appeal as are outside the 600.

That's not true... they can still appeal if they feel they have grounds as to why they didn't achieve a qualifying score..
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Amber wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:
I think Amber was referring to the bit where you said:

There are at least 5 others who "only" got Marling.....

which does imply that you rate Crypt higher, in the same way others rate STRS etc as higher than your son "only" applying to Crypt.
Yes KCG, you understand perfectly what I was saying.
Oh! Apologies, I misread your comment!! No, it was an ironic comment based on other people’s opinion of us choosing Crypt! That small minority of parents see nothing beyond Pates or Tommies so look down on those of us who actively choose Crypt. They think even less of Marling :evil: it’s crazy. I know nothing about Marling so wouldn’t comment for or against it! I just feel thankful & privileged that my 3 have passed & have had the choice to choose which they preferred
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

The craziest part about all this snobbery is that I can remember a time when Pates were the 'also rans' I'm a firm believer that they have got their status today by good business acumaen as much as good teaching... and I believe Crypt are trying the same thing..
cazien

Post by cazien »

Watermelon8 wrote:

Yes, I agree! Children are going to be travelling all over :( I wish Crypt had ranked lower as the 5 boys I know really like Marling but don’t ideally want to catch a train to school everyday so wanted Crypt but can’t appeal as are outside the 600.
I don't believe any school should "over-rank", it leaves too many students disappointed if they are not offered a place, and will also encourage the number of appeals to rise.

One of the things that Crypt is trying to promote is to have local children attending the school. They are "fed up" with children living a great distance from the school who make no effort to arrive on time, which causes constant daily disruptions. But unfortunately they will also have to consider the test results. I guess the 5 boys were pushed further down the rankings by the girls or didn't perform as well as they could have - are they low-ranked at Marling? They can appeal for Crypt if they didn't get ranked, but they must have strong academic evidence of their ability. Food for thought - I do not know if appeals panel are given a criteria to follow, but living locally may give them an added chance of a successful appeal :).

Good luck next week.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

stroudydad wrote:The craziest part about all this snobbery is that I can remember a time when Pates were the 'also rans' I'm a firm believer that they have got their status today by good business acumaen as much as good teaching... and I believe Crypt are trying the same thing..
Yes, me too. Pates was never a ‘thing’ when i was doing my J4 pretty oblivious to what it was other than everyone sitting in the school hall colouring in multi choice answers!!! Anyone who passed just went to their local gs. Being top of the leaderboard doesn’t make you the best school it just shows you cream off the top scorers. As I have had to repeat to my DS when he’s come home upset by comments, we chose Crypt as it was the best fit for him & we all preferred it. He could go to any of the grammar schools & do equally as well because he is bright & motivated. Saddens me what the system has become, playing one of against the other :(
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

cazien wrote:
Watermelon8 wrote:

Yes, I agree! Children are going to be travelling all over :( I wish Crypt had ranked lower as the 5 boys I know really like Marling but don’t ideally want to catch a train to school everyday so wanted Crypt but can’t appeal as are outside the 600.
I don't believe any school should "over-rank", it leaves too many students disappointed if they are not offered a place, and will also encourage the number of appeals to rise.

One of the things that Crypt is trying to promote is to have local children attending the school. They are "fed up" with children living a great distance from the school who make no effort to arrive on time, which causes constant daily disruptions. But unfortunately they will also have to consider the test results. I guess the 5 boys were pushed further down the rankings by the girls or didn't perform as well as they could have - are they low-ranked at Marling? They can appeal for Crypt if they didn't get ranked, but they must have strong academic evidence of their ability. Food for thought - I do not know if appeals panel are given a criteria to follow, but living locally may give them an added chance of a successful appeal :).

Good luck next week.

Surely if they really were trying to promote that they could change their entrance criteria to reflect that... this year, with the larger PAN and change to coed would have been the perfect opportunity...
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

cazien wrote:
Watermelon8 wrote:

Good luck next week.
I don’t think it’s a case of over ranking though. It would be very interesting to see where the boys who’ve qualified for Crypt come from. If it’s highly tutored, out of county boys who’ve passed higher then it’s not fulfilled their brief to increase local boys. Don’t shoot me down!!!! It’s just a thought :D Sadly, 3 of the 5 I know took the attitude ‘we don’t agree with the system, we won’t push them, we want them to get in on their own merit, we don’t agree with tutoring ’ stance. That’s admirable & in an ideal world yes of course :shock: but now they feel they’ve failed them. As much as they’ve got great school grades & will do well in Sats, they were underprepared for how to sit a test so at a disadvantage. You can’t appeal if you’re that far off...however bright the child. I’ve seen it so many times in my children’s cohorts :cry: only chance is then in year testing I guess.
cazien

Post by cazien »

Watermelon8 - Why do you think "You can’t appeal if you’re that far off...however bright the child"? Yes you can! Rankings have no significance during an appeal. DD's friend didn't qualify for any the GS's - her parents appealed and achieved a place at HSFG. In year testing and staying on the waiting list is a way in later on. There is always movement in every year group.

Stroudydad wrote "Surely if they really were trying to promote that they could change their entrance criteria to reflect that... this year, with the larger PAN and change to coed would have been the perfect opportunity..."

How do we know they haven't? :wink: Seriously though, I am not sure how they would go about it, but their intention is certainly going down the road of "we want locals".
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

cazien wrote:Watermelon8 - Why do you think "You can’t appeal if you’re that far off...however bright the child"? Yes you can! Rankings have no significance during an appeal. DD's friend didn't qualify for any the GS's - her parents appealed and achieved a place at HSFG. In year testing and staying on the waiting list is a way in later on. There is always movement in every year group.

Stroudydad wrote "Surely if they really were trying to promote that they could change their entrance criteria to reflect that... this year, with the larger PAN and change to coed would have been the perfect opportunity..."

How do we know they haven't? :wink: Seriously though, I am not sure how they would go about it, but their intention is certainly going down the road of "we want locals".
There is no mention of distance in their admissions procedure.
yellowdawg

Post by yellowdawg »

I agree with previous posters that it looks as if Crypt is some way off its PAN and it's no co-incidence that the information evenings were announced just as schools were being told what numbers they've been allocated. You wouldn't hold three events for a few available places. Although, I wonder if they were hoping to fill their 150 places and then also take in a large number of successful appeals on top.

DS is very twilight for Marling but would have got in off the waiting list last year. I'm expecting Marling not to go as low as the ranking than that allocated last year (which was 384) but for there to be even more shuffling this time round because of reconsideration, Crypt, appeals etc.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now