Backup State Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

readingmummy786

Backup State Schools

Post by readingmummy786 »

Hello All,
Me and my husband are preparing my DD for the Eleven Plus exam. My older DD is in Year 8 at Kendrick so we have done the process before but my younger one is very different to her. Although we have complete faith in her, there are no secondary schools in our area (Tilehurst) that we like. We have been looking into other schools but the only schools we have found that we like so far are Holt and Maiden Erleigh (in lower Earley). If anybody has any state schools that they think would be good as backups in Reading please let me know (we are willing to move if we like the school a lot).
Tinkers

Re: Backup State Schools

Post by Tinkers »

Both ME and Holt are oversubscribed and you won’t get a place at either unless you are well within catchment. For ME you need to be within a mile as not everyone in catchment gets a place. I’m not so sure about the Holt and I’ll need to check, but you’ll need to be close to the mid point between the Holt and Forest.

As for other schools, I think you may be near Little Heath and Denefield? (I’m from Earley so don't know that side of Reading well). I’m not sure how these schools rate (but I haven’t heard bad things about them) or what other options you might have.

Bulmershe is also worth considering, though again in the last year that too has also been subscribed. I know it hasn’t had a great reputation in the past, but has improved a lot recently (and arguably better than ME these days). I have friends with DCs there in various years, including one that has moved from ME there for sixth form. All are happy with it.

There’s also ME in Reading, but again oversubscribed, they use feeder schools as part of their admissions. Or there’s the WREN school, which is also relatively new, but I have no idea of how that is performing. The problem in Readng, as I’m sure you are aware, is that Reading doesn’t have enough secondary places in general and the better schools will be seriously oversubscribed, meaning those outside catchment stand little to no chance of a place.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I’ve just checked last year’s Holt allocations.

The last girl to get a place on the 1st March last year lived a combined distance of 6.78 miles (they measure the distance to the Holt and to Forest and take the total). However I do know the waiting list moved, as I know someone who got a place a few weeks later.
readingmummy786

Tinkers wrote:Both ME and Holt are oversubscribed and you won’t get a place at either unless you are well within catchment. For ME you need to be within a mile as not everyone in catchment gets a place. I’m not so sure about the Holt and I’ll need to check, but you’ll need to be close to the mid point between the Holt and Forest.

As for other schools, I think you may be near Little Heath and Denefield? (I’m from Earley so don't know that side of Reading well). I’m not sure how these schools rate (but I haven’t heard bad things about them) or what other options you might have.

Bulmershe is also worth considering, though again in the last year that too has also been subscribed. I know it hasn’t had a great reputation in the past, but has improved a lot recently (and arguably better than ME these days). I have friends with DCs there in various years, including one that has moved from ME there for sixth form. All are happy with it.

There’s also ME in Reading, but again oversubscribed, they use feeder schools as part of their admissions. Or there’s the WREN school, which is also relatively new, but I have no idea of how that is performing. The problem in Readng, as I’m sure you are aware, is that Reading doesn’t have enough secondary places in general and the better schools will be seriously oversubscribed, meaning those outside catchment stand little to no chance of a place.
Hello Tinkers,

Thank you for your reply, we have looked into Denefield and Little Heath, my older DDs friends went to those schools but I do not like the environment in the schools and I can see the change in my DDs friends compared to the people they were in primary school. Obviously, I wont completely rule them out but they are more of a last resort. I'll look into Holt, does any ones DD go to Holt? If so, what are your opinions? I am mainly concerned about the environment but any information would be appreciated.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The Holt is usually the best performing school in Wokingham and I do know people who end up opting for it over kendrick. I’ve come across some of the girls there and also attended a careers fair there. You’d need to have a look for yourself, but if it’s a good fit I don’t think you’d be disappointed.

All DCs change when they move to secondary though. We don’t notice it so much with our own DCs so much as we see them every day. My DD has friends from primary as various secondary schools, including kendrick, Bulmershe, ME and Piggot, and all have changed. (And not always in a nice way either). It hasn’t been dependent on the school, more a case of the friends they have made once there.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I’ve just looked up WBC secondary allocation info and Holt has allocated to just over 3 miles radial distance (I think the combined distance criteria may have changed), so if you move to be in Holt catchment you should aim to be well within that.

ME this year has remained at about a mile. ME in Reading has allocated to 0.86 miles (though those at feeder schools further away will have got a place as they are higher in the admission criteria)

Bulmershe allocated to 2.177 miles.
readingmummy786

Tinkers wrote:I’ve just looked up WBC secondary allocation info and Holt has allocated to just over 3 miles radial distance (I think the combined distance criteria may have changed), so if you move to be in Holt catchment you should aim to be well within that.

ME this year has remained at about a mile. ME in Reading has allocated to 0.86 miles (though those at feeder schools further away will have got a place as they are higher in the admission criteria)

Bulmershe allocated to 2.177 miles.
Ok, thank you so much! I really appreciate your help :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now