IGCSE or GCSE

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zeen

IGCSE or GCSE

Post by zeen »

what is the differenced between GCSE and IGCSE? In my DDs Grammar school they are still teaching from IGCSE books whereas pupil will take regular AQA GCSEs. I am slightly worried. Thanks, Z
piggys

Re: IGCSE or GCSE

Post by piggys »

The International GCSE is an exam available to private schools and overseas schools. I can't speak for other subjects but as far as English language and literature is concerned the written sections of the exams are very similar to the 'ordinary' GCSE but still allow a coursework component, which is why a lot of indies are hanging on to them. I know of several independent school s which are taking the IGCSE for lit but the ordinary new GCSE spec for language.

When you say your dd's school is teaching from IGCSE books what exactly do you mean? there is an anthology of poetry and prose but none of it is in any of the current GCSE (AQA / EDEXCEL or OCR) syllabuses. If you mean that the school is merely using past English language papers to practice language skills then I don't see the harm, but you would need to clarify in more detail exactly what your dd's school is doing.
Amber

Post by Amber »

piggys wrote: The International GCSE is an exam available to private schools and overseas schools.
Many state schools also offer, or have offered, this quite routinely. My sons' grammar school used a mix of IGCSE and GCSE for exams until a couple of years ago. The IGCSEs were in Sciences and English.

It sounds as though your daughter's school has probably switched from IGCSE to regular ones and is perhaps using books to cover elements of the syllabus which are similar. You could always go and ask you daughter's head of year or send an email if you are worried.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

State schools have now switched back[if they used them - many didn't] to GCSEs as the iGCSE are not included in Progress 8. This has meant the worst score in Bucks is the Royal Grammar in High Wycomber because they did not switch!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now