Saint Albans school for boys Vs Habs boys

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hanzi2007

Saint Albans school for boys Vs Habs boys

Post by Hanzi2007 »

Hi All,
Please can anybody help me to understand first tier and second tier independent schools especially in the case of SAS and Habs boys ?
I am really confused after having a chat with some people as they describe SAS as a second tier school.We have offers for our son from both schools with reasonable schloarship .We found both schools great on upon mornings .
We have to choose one school and to be honest want to accept one of them as soon as possible as dont want to sit on other offer untill 5th of March.
Please help me to understand this first tier and second tier philosphy when both schools have almost same sort of selection criteria in their entrance exams .
What if I really want my son to attend SAS for good reason of living on its doorstep as compared to Habs .Although stop for Habs couch is only 5 mins walk but i still like SAS more because its local but very confused about this first and second tier race ?
Many thanks in advance .
tropicalsun

Re: Saint Albans school for boys Vs Habs boys

Post by tropicalsun »

I have no idea what the tiers mean but I am unsure why this would help in your decision making. As you have visited both schools, given what you saw and the information you were given, which of the two was a better fit for your son?

If it were me and it came down to two good schools that both suited my child, one a few miles away and the other on my doorstep I would definitely go for the local one. As it turns out I have visited both of these schools (as a backup in case my ds2 doesn’t qualify for our nearest grammar school) and SAS was the better choice for various reasons. I liked Habs too but the more I thought about the travel, the more off-putting it was that it appears to be in the middle of nowhere (I am exaggerating a little but it is a campus with its own vast grounds) and one would have to rely on an expensive coach service or taxi of mum/dad to get their child to and from school. I’d much rather choose a school where there is the option for public transport as well.

Hopefully someone will come along and explain the tiers for you. Good luck in your decision-making and well done to you for not choosing to sit on your offers for too long.
guesswho

Post by guesswho »

St Albans is an excellent school. It happens to be geographically relatively close to Habs which gets slightly better exam results. There is nothing your DS will not be able to "achieve" at St Albans which he would at Habs so go for the school which feels most "right"
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

St Albans is certainly not a second tier school. Who on earth told you that?

Your ds will get a great education at both schools so choose the one that suits your family better. DG
Hanzi2007

Post by Hanzi2007 »

Thank you all for your kind opinions .Much appriciated .
Hanzi2007

Post by Hanzi2007 »

Daogroupie wrote:St Albans is certainly not a second tier school. Who on earth told you that?

Your ds will get a great education at both schools so choose the one that suits your family better. DG
Thank you very much Daogroupie for response .I was very confused about this first and second tier schools discussions among ppl around me,mainly those who are currently holding offers from MT ,Habs and City of London along with SAS as a backup school.
Anyway i am very thankful to all of you for taking time to response on my post .
We are going to release one offer definately on Monday .
Good Luck to all DSs ans DDS..
mad?

Post by mad? »

Hanzi2007 wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:Thank you very much Daogroupie for response .I was very confused about this first and second tier schools discussions among ppl around me,mainly those who are currently holding offers from MT ,Habs and City of London along with SAS as a backup school.
It is called being 'vulgar and braying' Hanzi2007 and you will do well to ignore such revolting people and their pathetic boastful insecurities. Go for whichever you preferred, but do not underestimate the importance of journey. A good school on your doorstep LUCKY YOU :D go for it.

I am not sure if you are waiting for a state offer but you will find the same type of nonsense about these as well. People not so subtly trying to undermine personal choices and preferences and by implication your DS's achievements. Given the schools/area you have mentioned I imagine (unless 2018 is the dawn of a new era :roll: ) these boards will be crawling with such behaviour on allocation day so brace yourself for all those people who spent days begging for help with their agonising indie choices to come back and slag those same indies off and cast aspersions about who does not share their priorities, denigrating their decisions. Rest assured they rarely stay around to help others once their desire to chest beat and sneer has been sated.

It is unpleasant stealth boasting and for the next few weeks you will be best to listen to none of it and get on with being excited that you have at least one excellent school that you and DS are happy with. There will be many, many others who are not in such fortunate position and ahem strangely they do not tend to post here, probably for fear of being perpetually belittled :( .
mad?
MrsP

Post by MrsP »

StA second tier?

Bonkers!

Please take on-board the excellent advice from the above Forum members.

Makes me so cross when I hear StA is regarded as second best. Why would one think that? Not a fan on league tables but according to the Telegraph StA does better at A level that MT.

Go with your gut feel and what you/your DS thinks will be the right fit.
Mum2boys9

Post by Mum2boys9 »

I have heard of this tier system before. My ds attends St Albans School and this is just nonsense! St Albans results are fantastic and I wouldn’t be surprised if they surpassed Habs (which they are just marginally behind). I believe last year was the schools best ever A Level results and from what I have seen so far, they will only keep rising.
However, that is not why I chose this school. As for us Habs and St Albans were equal distances f on our home. I felt St Albans was more nurturing and not in your face grades obsessed. My son is really pushed and there are so many insanely smart boys amongst all the other smart boys. This school has changed my son for the better. He is so confident and motivated, because everyone is. And for me (the panicking helicopter parent, who worries if my son doesn’t get an incredibly high score)- the staff are amazing. They always quickly respond to my emails and offer an incredible amount of advice and support.
Please pick the school where you think your son will fit best and please consider the journey. My son does have a rather long journey- however he is a natural early riser and genuinely enjoys the coach ride.
Good luck!
Hanzi2007

Post by Hanzi2007 »

I have no words to express my gratitude for all of you.For prompt encouraging responses on my quiery and not only this time ,whenever parents like me turned towards this forum for any type of help ,you were there during this elevenplus journey .I collectively followed many of your great advices .In short this great forum is a blessing for many parents.
Many thanks once again and yes I am here on this forum from now on .If anyone need any help in future I am just one ‘pm ‘ away :)
Stay blessed .