Tiffin School Information

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DecisionDecision

Tiffin School Information

Post by DecisionDecision »

Hello All,

I wonder if anyone can help me. We have a son who been offered a place at a SW London independent school and we are also awaiting the results of the Tiffin 11+ on Thursday.

Of course we do not know if our son has been succesful in the Tiffin exams but we do need to think about a decision.

We only got to see Tiffin on their very busy open day so don't feel we have a very good picture of the school, so I was wondering if there are any parents of boys who could help?

We would love to know:

(1) What do they do to ensure children there do not fall behind in certain subjects? Is there additional help and support?

(2) Following on, how is the communication with the parents? Are the teachers contactable and are they willing to discuss your child's progress outside of parent's evenings?

(3) What is the pastoral care like? Are children there generally happy?

(4) How good are the school at fixing any issues that arise (classroom incidents, bullying etc.)?

Apologies for all the questions but we do not know anyone at the school right now and while lots of people have theories about the school, they often based on rumors and hearsay so would appreciate hearing from someone with children actually in the school.
stateschoolman

Re: Tiffin School Information

Post by stateschoolman »

Additionally, maybe worth asking the same question on the Independent forum..your questions equally apply to the indie school.
DecisionDecision

Hi, that is true but we have visited the indie school a few times now after our son got a place there so we got to ask our questions to both teachers and pupils.
stateschoolman

Post by stateschoolman »

That's great - care to share?

A quick Google search found :-
http://www2.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 2&p=500555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good Luck.
Strix

Post by Strix »

Hello. I am a Tiffin School Parent. Did you get an offer? I’m happy to answer any question.
DecisionDecision

Hi Strix,

We did get an offer from Tiffin, yes.
We are more edging towards Tiffin (other school is Hampton).

To be honest, our only reservations are around the level of support.
In Hampton they seem to encourage the boys to be independent while offering them a lot of support. What is it like in Tiffin?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Hampton would offer little extra over Tiffin. Tiffin boys become very independent from very early on due to travelling from offsite play ground. Also, on academic side, there is no spoon feeding, meaning loads of independent research and study.

Very little to choose independent schools over top grammar schools, unless it is Eton, St. Paul’s or Westminster Upper. :wink:
Tid

Post by Tid »

I know what you mean, the open day we attended at Tiffin was really very busy, and Hampton have been very good about taster sessions and visits for the potential pupils to answer all those questions.

Personally I’d go Hampton every time, but that’s because as a sportsman I see the huge benefit to having all those fields on site rather than having to bus across to the Tiffin sports grounds over by Hampton Court. I think the other co-curricular facilities and opportunities are superior too (the theatre spaces for example), but that only really makes a difference if your son is going to take advantage of them.

In terms of support I think you are right about Hampton, but like you I’m afraid I don’t know about Tiffin. Good luck with making your Decision.
Womum5

Post by Womum5 »

We were in the same position last year, and chose Hampton and don't have any regrets. Can't speak for Tiffin, but from Hampton viewpoint, the boys are made to be independant, but always have the knowledge that the teachers will help them out if required, which helps their confidence. They only have to ask and teachers are happy to spend time with them at lunch.
My son has received 2 full report cards that detail how he behaves in class, effort in homework and exam results for each subject, so he knows how he's getting on.
He loves sports so is enjoying all that Hampton has to offer, although it can be brutal, if they are not performing in A team they are dropped!
Music ranges from classical to rock school and children are all encouraged to perform, even if they are not A*
3 drama productions are put on every year, although they are a full commitment of 2 nights per week.
Boys have a long lunch and there are approx 30 different clubs, that they can pick and chose, great for them to try new things.
Academically, A grade gcse at Hampton was 92% last year and Tiffins 78%.
Hope this helps, I have friends that are at Tiffins and are very happy, but can only speak from personally experience. Good luck