Marling and Stroud High Sixth forms

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
stroudydad

Re: Marling and Stroud High Sixth forms

Post by stroudydad »

It would appear all the dirty linen is being washed in the open now, the letters from both schools are quite telling, and it would appear that certainly it was SHS that instigated the split based upon their very low value added. Worrying part is, why has it taken 9 years(11 to implementation) to address this...
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

As a parent with a DD in year 10 SHS, I have read the SHS letter but would be very interested to read the Marling version if any one is able to share it?

Personally I am glad the schools are doing something to address the poor levels of progress in sixth form. DD has always been adamant that she wants to stay and I feel happier about her choice knowing things may be about to improve.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

pixiequeen wrote:As a parent with a DD in year 10 SHS, I have read the SHS letter but would be very interested to read the Marling version if any one is able to share it?

Personally I am glad the schools are doing something to address the poor levels of progress in sixth form. DD has always been adamant that she wants to stay and I feel happier about her choice knowing things may be about to improve.
Marling's letter basically just invited you to a meeting last night. Sadly I was unable to attend.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

We have had emails from Marling which are more candid.
basically they say that SHS wanted more control over their students on certain key/major subjects and so wanted to teach their students in their classes, not in co-ed classes for those subjects. Marling was unhappy as that meant the students would not have a co-ed sixth form experience which they seem to place high value on.

Discussions then continued but broke down. It seems that SHS wanted to have more control over teaching and progress of students which they couldn't have if students were taught bystaff from Marling.

Makes sense, and I can understand it, but doesn't make me happy.
It sounds as if the schools are committed to making their sixth forms co-ed, but we will see.

ds is seriously cross about it.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

steppemum wrote:We have had emails from Marling which are more candid.
basically they say that SHS wanted more control over their students on certain key/major subjects and so wanted to teach their students in their classes, not in co-ed classes for those subjects. Marling was unhappy as that meant the students would not have a co-ed sixth form experience which they seem to place high value on.

Discussions then continued but broke down. It seems that SHS wanted to have more control over teaching and progress of students which they couldn't have if students were taught bystaff from Marling.

Makes sense, and I can understand it, but doesn't make me happy.
It sounds as if the schools are committed to making their sixth forms co-ed, but we will see.

ds is seriously cross about it.
Basically Stroud Highs sixth form girls are progressing below expected but, As things were, couldn't make the changes they felt necessary..
NancyB

Post by NancyB »

I suspect that it's something like:

Many 6th form subjects are taught by teachers from both schools. Each teacher will teach different modules, and the A level results can be tracked by module.

If Stroud High management see that for a certain subject, the girls are doing well in the modules taught by Stroud High staff, but not well in the ones taught by Marling staff, then they will want to take some action. If Marling management respond "we can't see a problem" - or are not worried because their own boys are doing OK, then Stroud High can't make the improvements they want - they have no control or authority over the Marling staff.

It's probably been going on for some years, with SHS staff trying to find ways round it.

Just because the two schools are next to each other doesn't mean that the teaching/management/governance styles are the same!
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Looks like Marling have made their mind up..
Dear Parents and Carers,

Further to our communication last week we can now confirm that the Governing Body have reviewed the consultation feedback and carefully considered all of the responses received. Following this, the Governing Body then voted unanimously to implement the policy that went to consultation, including the admission of girls to the Sixth Form in 2019. They have prepared a document outlining their responses to the main issues raised during the consultation and this can be found here: http://www.marling.gloucs.sch.uk/admissions-policy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In making this decision the Governors considered whether Stroud High School might seek to reverse their decision to change the Sixth Form collaboration, or to slow down the process of change, and have communicated that they remain open to both. However, in order to preserve co-education for Marling students they felt it was in our students’ best interests to make a permanent change to the policy. This will not hinder discussions with Stroud High School should they wish to delay or reverse their decision. We have also proposed to Stroud High School that regardless of the final outcome, we should consider retaining shared use of the whole Sixth Form block beyond 2020, so that both sets of students can continue to share study and social space.

The Governing Body of Marling School would like to thank all those who contributed to the consultation.

Yours Faithfully,

Nigel Riglar John Gilbert

Chair of Governors Vice Chair of Governors