How to practise for new Maths Course for AS Level

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
meka

How to practise for new Maths Course for AS Level

Post by meka »

My DS is in Year12 and his mocks are in April and Finals are in May. He has Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Firstly, how can he practise for all of his exams in the remaining time?

Secondly and more importantly, whenever i ask him to do past papers for Maths, he says there are no past papers as the course have been changed. I don't know how to handle this situation. What can he practise to check his timing, as at his school's(QE Boys) internal exams, he's been struggling to complete his papers in time and getting marks in the range 70%-80%. So, pls give your inputs.
Guest55

Re: How to practise for new Maths Course for AS Level

Post by Guest55 »

There are all the old papers to use and, if it's Edexcel then there are sample papers on the website. Teachers also have access to loads of additional resources. Every school is in the same position. I'll give the link to Edexcel if you can confirm the exam board.
meka

Post by meka »

Guest55 wrote:There are all the old papers to use and, if it's Edexcel then there are sample papers on the website. Teachers also have access to loads of additional resources. Every school is in the same position. I'll give the link to Edexcel if you can confirm the exam board.

Thanks for your quick response. Yes his board is Pearson Edexcel. Regarding the past papers, my son says that there are different modules then this year's new course. I need your help, pls guide me what can he practise ?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I can't help wondering - what is the school doing to help, when your DS has said that he feels he is struggling?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I agree, the school should be your first port of call. Is he sitting AS external exams? This is quite unusual now, as they don't count towards the A2.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

scary mum wrote:I agree, the school should be your first port of call. Is he sitting AS external exams? This is quite unusual now, as they don't count towards the A2.
They did AS in all subjects last year, by the look of things:
https://www.qebarnet.co.uk/achievements ... _as__level
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

meka wrote:Thanks for your quick response. Yes his board is Pearson Edexcel. Regarding the past papers, my son says that there are different modules then this year's new course. I need your help, pls guide me what can he practise ?
Yes the modules donlt exist but much of the material is the same - here is the specification:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/q ... -2017.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Links also to sample materials are here.

I agree this is the first year of the new Maths but his teachers should be pointing him to the old resources that are still useful.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

CGP publish exam practice books for A and AS level maths. I haven't looked at them, so I can't comment on how useful they will be, but DD is using this sort of things to find questions for the new GCSEs
meka

Post by meka »

scary mum wrote:I agree, the school should be your first port of call. Is he sitting AS external exams? This is quite unusual now, as they don't count towards the A2.
Yes, I'll speak to his school about it, Thanks. QEB is still doing their internals for Year12s.
meka

Post by meka »

2childmum wrote:CGP publish exam practice books for A and AS level maths. I haven't looked at them, so I can't comment on how useful they will be, but DD is using this sort of things to find questions for the new GCSEs
Thanks you very much. I ordered one last night.