Chemistry or Business Studies for A Level

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

FunkyMonkey

Chemistry or Business Studies for A Level

Post by FunkyMonkey »

My son is doing 4 A levels next academic year. Maths, Further Maths, P.E. are certain.

He is favouring Business Studies as he says it will help him in a sports career in future and even though he should get an A* for chemistry GCSE, he said he is not interested in a science career or degree and not that interested in Chemistry.

So question really is what are pros and cons of both Chemistry and Business A Levels.

P.s. he not done business studies GCSE.
PettswoodFiona

Re: Chemistry or Business Studies for A Level

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Is there a reason he isn't looking at Biology as most that I know who've gone into Sports careers have done this as a complementary subject? It can help with physiotherapy side of sport as well as sport endurance and training etc.

Is he looking to continue studies after A level? If yes - what courses is he looking at, they should give requirements as to what would be most accepted.

If he is looking to go straight into a job or apprenticeship perhaps the apprenticeship programme or organisations he is looking at joining can advise what they'd look most favourably on?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Business Studies may not be regarded as highly as Chemistry. However it may not be important - it just depends on the requirements of any post A level course he wants to take up. The best idea is to look at actual entry requirements.

If he doesn’t need or want to do Chemistry I wouldn’t worry about any percieved difference.

This thread has some interesting inormation regarding A level choices.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 57&t=14977" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I’ve moved this thread to sixth form.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

If he doesn't want to do chemistry don't force him, it's a really hard A level. My DS got an A* at GCSE & struggled at A level (gave it up after AS). Maybe he had just reached his personal limit, but it is known to be tough. Just check that the combination he wants to do are acceptable for what he wants to do next.
scary mum
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Would he consider Economics instead of Business Studies? (assuming school offers it). It may be regarded as a stronger subject?

Alternatively, Biology or Psychology would go with the sports career.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

WARNING - some of the thread mitasol linked to is now out of date because A levels are now linear.

A good website for looking at A level choices is: https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or search on there for the degree.
Amber

Post by Amber »

This is chalk and cheese, no? One of the most difficult and rigorous A levels setting you up for a serious science future and one of the least well-regarded academically but potentially useful if you want to go into business. I agree with suggestions to look at Biology, which he is going to need for a sports related degree, or Economics as an alternative to BS.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

THANKS for your input G55.

Some of the links on the thread have gone astray and I will try to fix them when I get a moment. I think the thread is still pertinent as it was unrelated to linear or modular exams.

At the time the thread was posted a few universities were upfront about preferred or less suitable A levels but others were not. However, there was a suggestion that nontheless they were not treating all A levels equally. Preference being for more ‘academic’ or traditional A levels.

It is worth exploring before A level choices are made.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's really the comparison links, they probably need to go.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Ds1 is off to uni in October to do a sport degree and he did PE, Geography and French (his 4th was history which he gave up at the end of yr12).

His university options weren't restricted by not doing biology - he received offers from Loughborough, Birmingham and Oxford Brookes but has opted for Coventry. My advice is to look at some uni admissions requirements as some take geography as a science, some require maths and some do require biology.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now