My son is year 3, what I need prepare now

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ivybilly

My son in year 3, what I need prepare now

Post by ivybilly »

Anyone have any recommendation of practise book, web site, tutor and saturday school? (Pm me please)

My son study in normal school, so the school haven't too much homework, I think is the time to let him doing some more work.

I found some tutor and saturday school detail at web site, but how do I know their entry grammar school student rate or are they good?

Difficult to choose which tutor is good for him, I don't want to pay a lot money , but get nothing.

Thank you for help

Ivy
ss1

Year 3

Post by ss1 »

Year 3 is far too early to be pressurising your child I would wait until mid to late Year 4, which is what I did with my 2 duaghters and they both went to Grammar Schools. As regards tutors this all depends where you live and how far you are prepared to travel. If you PM me I will can recommend a couple of tutors who have a very good record.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I would say even year 4 far too early. An able child, in my humble opinion, would not need more than a year at the very most of tutoring. You can still help them by ensuring they read regularly challenging and enjoyable variety of books, asking them to work out change when you go shopping etc. discussing vocabulary etc.
I have a year 4 son who wil not be even looking at papers until 6 months before exam. If he is able enough that will be enough.
Good luck - please do not make this your life though. When you read some of these posts from parents whose children narrowly missed the pass mark it is very demotivating for the children and stressful for the family. Try to keep it low key. Just my advice though. :)
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ivybilly

Post by ivybilly »

my son school haven't much home work,

just one page home work per week.

I think is the time to let him do more practise.

anyone recommend a good practise book or web site.

thanks
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ivybilly

Post by ivybilly »

Thank you for reply.

I agreed year 3 student to do a formal tutorial may be too early,

But I need to get some information, so I can prepare now.

I have 2 children, 1 year old and year 3 boy.

After baby born, I am so busy to look after him, (he have serious enzema)

so I haven't help my son homework.

Last parent evening, his teacher tell me, my son English test just have 2B level, the highest level is 3A. I feel so sorry to him,

So I need to helping his study now.

but I don't know where I should start. so I asking some recommendation prastice book.

Finally, Thank you for reply.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Hello ivybilly

From the way your posts read (and apologies if I am wrong) English is not your first language, so your son may have grown up hearing other languages at home? If that is the case, he will have had some catching up to do in English compared with classmates whose mums speak more-or-less fluent English to them (although of course he will benefit in other ways from possibly speaking another language himself). In which case, I'm sure his 2B mark is a good achievement, and he will probably make very good progress over the next two or three years. Like other posters, I would suggest relaxing and encouraging him instead to read a variety of books, fact and fiction (does his Junior school have a library?), or even the Beano or football comics (whatever his interests) rather than worrying about practise tests at this stage. Perhaps he would enjoy reading to his baby brother as well!
kefew

Post by kefew »

have sent you a pm
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Yes it is early, but I can see why you want to do it.

However, I would do some studying yourself to bring your English from excellent to native standard. This will indirectly benefit your son, and you will be an excellent role model for study at home when he is a little older.

Good luck
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now