General appeal advice - 2nd child

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mandy21

General appeal advice - 2nd child

Post by Mandy21 »

We live in an area with non-faith and Catholic grammar schools.

We have 1 DD already at non-faith grammar. Years ago, when she was taking the entrance exams, we were told that there was no chance of her getting a place at the Catholic grammar (as she is not baptised catholic and the oversubscription criteria was that every baptised catholic girl who passed (for a very large catchment area) was offered before non-Catholic baptised girls even on the doorstep) - this was not by the school I should add which we did visit but didn't ask this specific question, but by primary school and anecdotally from parents / friends who had already been through the process. She therefore didn't sit the entrance exam for the Catholic grammar.

Now comes along DD2. Having heard in the interim that some places have been offered to non-Catholic girls in the last 5 years, although not for the last 2 years - she will sit the Catholic grammar entrance exam. I understand if she is not offered a place because they don't get far enough down the oversubscription criteria we can appeal - and obviously set out why that particular school is the best fit for her (I've read the info on here about that). One of the reasons (as suggested to us) would be because it is the only church school locally and a faith school is important to us. We can demonstrate that that would be true (very strong links to C of E church, DD2 attends a C of E primary school) but its quite clear if they were to ask (and I don't know if they always would?) that we did not go down this route with DD1.

Does that undermine the whole argument - will they say how can it be important for DD2 if it wasn't important for DD1? Its not a "review" area - its just an appeals process.

This may all be hypothetical but just wondering. Thank you!
Guest55

Re: General appeal advice - 2nd child

Post by Guest55 »

How will they know you have another child?
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

I presume they would ask - is that allowed?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

The panel are most likely to ask about siblings if it's relevant to the case being presented.
For example, if parents say they have serious logistical problems getting their children to school, they can expect to be asked how many children there are, how old they are, and which schools they go to.

On the basis of what you've told us, I can't immediately see why you should be asked about your other children, but I suppose there's always an outside chance they might enquire.

I don't think it would necessarily undermine your whole case, provided you have an explanation (which you do).
If you had relied solely on anecdotal evidence, then it might not impress the panel - they would probably be thinking that you really should have satisfied yourself with regard to the accuracy of the information.
However, being misled by the primary school should carry more weight, and I think that is the bit you need to emphasise, even though (I assume) you cannot prove it.
Etienne
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

Thank you, that's helpful.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now