Buses to Woodford county

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ronoli14

Buses to Woodford county

Post by Ronoli14 »

Hello all
Can anyone give me details about the school bus to Woodford county. We live in the Clayhall/Barkingside area and was told there is a bus which operates during term time just for WCHS pupils.

Where does the bus stop?
What times does it run in the morning and after school?
How much does it cost?
Do many girls get it (especially year 7)?
Any websites where can I get more information from would be most appreciated

Thank you
Faiqamir

Re: Buses to Woodford county

Post by Faiqamir »

Hi I am also looking for some transport from ilford . My dd will be going Woodford county this September. If you find any please tell me as well .
Regards
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Faiqamir wrote:Hi I am also looking for some transport from ilford . My dd will be going Woodford county this September. If you find any please tell me as well .
Regards
Don't Tfl buses serve WCHS?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

679 is a school bus which runs mornings and afternoons, lots of girls take that. TfL bus as far as I know.

20 also stops there but not going to Ilford area, TfL bus, some girls on.

TfL buses are free if you get the pass though this takes about 2 weeks to get.

275/179/675/W13 DD also mentioned, ones beginning with 6 are school buses. Some routes are faster than others. Some also come on tube but it is 15 mins walk from tube.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Bananas wrote:679 is a school bus which runs mornings and afternoons, lots of girls take that. TfL bus as far as I know.

20 also stops there but not going to Ilford area, TfL bus, some girls on.

TfL buses are free if you get the pass though this takes about 2 weeks to get.

275/179/675/W13 DD also mentioned, ones beginning with 6 are school buses. Some routes are faster than others. Some also come on tube but it is 15 mins walk from tube.
Assuming that one's home and the school are within reasonable walking distance of a relevant bus route, £20(?) outlay upfront for five years' bus travel must be a no brainer. Where we live, DS2's four-weekly bus season ticket costs just over twice that :shock: .
Last edited by ToadMum on Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

Yes passes are well worth getting anyway - gives you child rate on tube too. Think its £15.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/t ... his-page-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Application process is a bit of a faff esp as we are just outside London but on tube line but it's only once every 5 years.
Ronoli14

Post by Ronoli14 »

Thanks everyone
Will check out the bus route for 679- looks like that is the one we need.
She will have to do some quick growing up come September as I have always driven her to school.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Ronoli14 wrote:Thanks everyone
Will check out the bus route for 679- looks like that is the one we need.
She will have to do some quick growing up come September as I have always driven her to school.
Honestly, she will be fine. You have plenty of time between now & September to practice & talk about "what ifs", and you will be amazed that your little girl will suddenly grow up & within a few days neither of you will think twice about the journey. It's hard to imagine when they are still at junior school.
scary mum
NeeSha

Post by NeeSha »

Hi, My DD will be starting in Woodford County next week. We are in Ilford and understand that the possible options are bus 179 and 679 (with 679 operating as a school bus). I would like to join my DD in the bus for the first 2 days before she starts to travel on her own. Any one know if parents are allowed to board these buses (179 and 679) esp. if they operate as school buses?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

NeeSha wrote:Hi, My DD will be starting in Woodford County next week. We are in Ilford and understand that the possible options are bus 179 and 679 (with 679 operating as a school bus). I would like to join my DD in the bus for the first 2 days before she starts to travel on her own. Any one know if parents are allowed to board these buses (179 and 679) esp. if they operate as school buses?
The 179 will be a normal tfl bus. Have a look at the website or on your nearest bus stop re the 679 - it may just be differently numbered because it's a service that only runs on school days, timed to fit in with the start / finish times of the schools on its route and anyone can get on. Although, as has been commented in the past, if you have the option of not getting a bus full of school children, why would you want to? :lol: .

Haven't you tried out the route / got your DD to practise getting the bus on her own over the summer holidays? If it is presented as a normal thing to do, I'm sure she will get the hang of it very quickly :) .
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now