What happens next...?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
smileandsparkle

What happens next...?

Post by smileandsparkle »

So you guys that have been through this before - once we have gone in and accepted the place, what happens next?

How long until we hear something from the school roughly? Email or letter?

When we got the results through back in October, we received both an email AND a letter the next morning from Pates saying congratulations on reaching the qualifying standard etc etc, inviting us to an open morning - so I thought we might have had similar this time.

Do you think they will be waiting for the 8th March cut off before contacting anyone so they don't have to do 2 batches?

I'm just being an eager beaver but I keep refreshing my emails thinking there must be some sort of confirmation/congratulations coming... :lol: :lol: Wondering also if they will invite us to the Spring Fair :?:

Also MIL is begging me to let her buy DDs blazer, and I KNOW the uniform list is on the website but I'm waiting for the official go ahead before we start buying!!

DD has had enough of yr 6 now, she just wants to sit her SATs and get outta there...!
DC17C

Re: What happens next...?

Post by DC17C »

I seem to remember getting a nice letter and information as to what happens next...at some stage from both schools my children attended...I think the fact that the schools have had to close because of the weather will slow things down a bit...enjoy the fact you have your school place confirmed and help your dd enjoy the rest of year 6...it is exciting and great news for you...
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Good grief...don't buy any uniform until at least the end of the summer term. Boys have a terrible habit of suddenly growing - either upwards or outwards at this age and it would end up being a complete waste of money.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

You will get more details through the post with all sorts of important dates. The snow may well have hindered the post getting out. I received it within a week of knowing for sure where DD was going.

Also agree with kenyancowgirl don't buy the uniform yet. There might be the chance of some good quality secondhand uniform and they also grow. We bought DD 2 brand new blouses and the rest second hand and have only needed to replace them 2 years later.
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

Not sure which school you're going to. Anyway, we're heading to SHS. Apparently school were sending us out a letter first class post on 1 March with a slip we had to return to accept the offer as well since they don't get the info from Glos Couty Council for a while yet...anyway we've had no post due to snow so no letter! Still waiting....hope it comes Monday.

I'm hoping that might have a bit more info in it (though the school calendar had new parents info evening & induction day on it so got those in diary already!)

Wasn't planning on getting uniform until the summer but I know what I'm in for!

My DD hasn't believed that she would get a place so she's been very excited to know that she actually has!
Eromdap

Post by Eromdap »

Last year we got an email for dd on 1st March from Ribston with dates for various transition events then no further emails until April. However, I think with the weather issues and schools closing early on Thursday and remaining closed on Friday this could have been delayed.

This year we are awaiting information from Tommies. I am expecting something in the next month as I believe they are invited to get their blazers fitted around April.

I would, however, wait until June/July before get anything. But bare in mind that if the uniform is from a specific shop (eg Trutex uniform shop, Gloucester) then they will get very busy in holidays before September, kitting out hundreds of year 7s in their first uniforms, year 12s in theirs, alongside anyone else that needs new uniform. I have heard of queues that go around the shop and out of the door.
Amber

Post by Amber »

For STRS Eromdap there are uniform fittings coming up. I am sure you will get the information soon. One of the dates coincides with an open day for offer holders and their parents if I recall correctly. Apart from the blazers, hoodies, coats and rugby shirts, almost everything can be obtained at other shops, but the blazers are usually fitted around now, with another day before term in September when they can be collected and exchanged if necessary. STR uniform is very reasonably priced (I think there is something in their foundation rules which says it has to be) and because you book a time slot, there aren't usually queues going on for miles either. :D
Eromdap

Post by Eromdap »

Thanks Amber for the information, very helpful.

When I was talking about uniform shops, this was really for the likes of Ribston and HSFG where I know that the shop in Gloucester is the only place to get blazer, skirts and shirts, but as they stock uniforms for several other secondaries they have limited time to serve you and space in which to store uniform.
Rachm82

Post by Rachm82 »

I received the email from Ribston on 1st March, which included dates of forthcoming settling in events x
Amber

Post by Amber »

Eromdap wrote:Thanks Amber for the information, very helpful.

When I was talking about uniform shops, this was really for the likes of Ribston and HSFG where I know that the shop in Gloucester is the only place to get blazer, skirts and shirts, but as they stock uniforms for several other secondaries they have limited time to serve you and space in which to store uniform.
At STR you get personal service for as long as it takes from a lovely bunch of wonderful volunteers. :wink: :D