Thoughts on cut-offs this year

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
crazycrofter

Re: Thoughts on cut-offs this year

Post by crazycrofter »

Lategate wrote:Crazycrofter- yes he’ll be going on the metro. Surprisingly, he said he’s looking forward to the journey to school. I think he’s secretly hoping to swing by the sweet shops on the way! The metro is pretty clean and efficient, we sometimes use it to get to Brum as we can park for free right by the local metro stop.
A commute from Derby would not appeal to me in the slightest. That’s madness!
My son has become obsessed with sweets since Sept! There are also a number of chicken outlets on the Soho Road :)
Lategate

Post by Lategate »

My son has become obsessed with sweets since Sept! There are also a number of chicken outlets on the Soho Road :)[/quote]
:D
Buckbeak

Post by Buckbeak »

Also,

Could it simply be a rise in the birthrate of boys since 2007? Virtually everyone I know who has given birth since my DD2 was born in 2007 have had boys; our family included.

That, together with the lack of good/outstanding secondary school provision for boys North of Birmingham may have made QM boys very attractive, raising demand and consequently scores.

Just a thought...... :)
Lategate

Post by Lategate »

Buckbeak- you are absolutely right that the raised 2007 birth rate had a much higher ratio of boys born. In my circle of friends and family, the 2007 births were 3/4 boys, not that it is representative of the whole of society, but it does seem to be the case with year 6 classes too (DH works in primary and tells me this).
Buckbeak

Post by Buckbeak »

Lategate wrote:Buckbeak- you are absolutely right that the raised 2007 birth rate had a much higher ratio of boys born. In my circle of friends and family, the 2007 births were 3/4 boys, not that it is representative of the whole of society, but it does seem to be the case with year 6 classes too (DH works in primary and tells me this).
In addition, Walsall is situated at the median of Wolverhampton, Telford, North Birmingham, Tamworth and Lichfield. All families with boys would inevitably target QM boys, which also has a good reputation, resulting in higher demand and thus higher scores in the exam.

This is just a theory of course. :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

there is a very slight increase in male births when the overall birth rate is very high eg post war but it is really a very very small increase. The normal is 105:100.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now