Waiting list movement

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bluesymum

Waiting list movement

Post by bluesymum »

We are 7.34 miles from DCHS and were hoping that the catchment would extend to us(going by past years' allocations).
Does it make sense to hold any hope for movement in the continuing interest list?
anotherdad

Re: Waiting list movement

Post by anotherdad »

I would think it unlikely based on the fact that the distance only moved a mile in each of the last two years between rounds. I can see that it did increase by more miles in earlier years but for it to move from the current five miles to over seven miles would seem unlikely.
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

I was wondering about waiting lists too (not for me). But just generally. In the past there has been a lot of movement as people realise they may live too far away so they go elsewhere. This year all schools seem to have gone to a shorter distance. Do you think it will make any difference?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I tend to agree with anotherdad that 7+ miles for DCHS is unlikely, but with the change to the waiting list procedure this year it seems likely that there will be a little bit more movement than before.

Legislating against that though, as Blue_Marigold says, are the shorter distances all round. Applicants are likely to have actually been serious about wanting a Bucks place rather than naming a Bucks GS and then suddenly realising that a commute of 20+ miles is not achievable.

I just can't call this one - we have to wait and see how it PANs out (as per G55's awful pun.)
vivekms

Post by vivekms »

I had the similar query about waiting lists, it's a long wait till 10th April to know where we are on it.
For some background, we lived in West Berkshire and DD cracked the cut-off for Bucks, did not get through Kendrick. So we moved to Wycombe after Oct 31st and provided evidences of our move to Bucks council. We are now just 0.5 miles from WHS (our first choice, SWB is our second choice at 3.5 miles) but as expected, did not get a place on the first round of allocation. She did get a place in West Berkshire school which was her 3rd choice. We made this after discussion and guidance from her headteacher in the current primary school.

Is there any information published around this, just to calm our nerves till 10th April. Anything we can do to ensure she is on the waiting list?
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

On the Bucks CC website it says you will automatically be added to the waiting list of any school that refused you a place. You will probably be quite high up in the waiting list for WHS if you live 0.5 miles away.
vivekms

Post by vivekms »

I hope so, but it would be a long wait of being in the dark.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

vivekms wrote:I hope so, but it would be a long wait of being in the dark.
Yes indeed! We are also on the waiting list for our 1st choice.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

vivekms wrote:I had the similar query about waiting lists, it's a long wait till 10th April to know where we are on it.
For some background, we lived in West Berkshire and DD cracked the cut-off for Bucks, did not get through Kendrick. So we moved to Wycombe after Oct 31st and provided evidences of our move to Bucks council. We are now just 0.5 miles from WHS (our first choice, SWB is our second choice at 3.5 miles) but as expected, did not get a place on the first round of allocation. She did get a place in West Berkshire school which was her 3rd choice. We made this after discussion and guidance from her headteacher in the current primary school.

Is there any information published around this, just to calm our nerves till 10th April. Anything we can do to ensure she is on the waiting list?
Which upper school did you put down as back-up, or is a move back to West Berks feasible in the event of not being allocated a place at WHS or SWB?
vivekms

Post by vivekms »

anotherdad wrote: Which upper school did you put down as back-up, or is a move back to West Berks feasible in the event of not being allocated a place at WHS or SWB?
Haven't done that yet, I believe there is still some time for upper schools, worst case, we will take WB school as I commute there for work anyway.