Waiting list movement

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nuguy

Re: Waiting list movement

Post by Nuguy »

Hi,
I have read in Buckinghamshire admission website if a place becomes available at a school and given your child is in the waiting list they will contact you and let you know.

Though it is really clear but I just want to confirm if they are goin to let you know directly or are they going to contact your LA which h will contact you later? ...please don't shut me down for my question
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Nuguy wrote:Hi,
I have read in Buckinghamshire admission website if a place becomes available at a school and given your child is in the waiting list they will contact you and let you know.

Though it is really clear but I just want to confirm if they are goin to let you know directly or are they going to contact your LA which h will contact you later? ...please don't shut me down for my question
Not sure about the contact between the LA's. All I know is that if a place becomes available on the waiting list and you are next, then you automatically get your higher preference.
vivekms

Post by vivekms »

Nuguy wrote:Hi,

I have read that too, and understood that they would contact me, but never thought that our LA is different,, worth asking Bucks, will ask and let you know what they reply. They normally take a few days to reply though.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

vivekms wrote:I have read that too, and understood that they would contact me, but never thought that our LA is different,, worth asking Bucks, will ask and let you know what they reply. They normally take a few days to reply though.
The advice on their own page says:

If your child is on a Buckinghamshire school waiting list (or lists), we will let you know their waiting list position on 10 April and 29 June.

We will not confirm waiting list positions at any other time.

Edited to add: Sorry, misread your post. The above applies to those considering enquiring about waiting list positions.
Nuguy

Post by Nuguy »

On the Later allocation rounds they say"
We will not write to you again to tell you that we still cannot offer a place at a school that you listed on an earlier application. If you live outside of Buckinghamshire, we will let your home LA know if we can make an offer for your child at one of our schools. They will also let us know about any further offers at their schools for our children."

And early in the airing list they say we will contact you? Really confusing
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

anotherdad wrote: The advice on their own page says:

If your child is on a Buckinghamshire school waiting list (or lists), we will let you know their waiting list position on 10 April and 29 June.

We will not confirm waiting list positions at any other time.

Edited to add: Sorry, misread your post. The above applies to those considering enquiring about waiting list positions.
Oh no :(
sparklies

Post by sparklies »

I'm in a very similar predicament (also out of county, on waiting list) and have been wondering the same thing - which LA will tell me? I'm also wondering if places become available "immediately" as parents reject places and the place shuffle takes place, or only during round two.

The website is not completely clear.

I filled out Bucks' "Contact" form asking those questions, pretty much. Apparently it may take up to ten working days to get a response, but I'm hoping it won't be that long. I also asked our local LA too (same ten working day timeframe) if they had any idea too, along with some other questions I had. Our local LA starts list movement mid March, much earlier than Bucks - it actually gets two more rounds in before Bucks does their one.

I'll say if/when I hear anything.
vivekms

Post by vivekms »

Nuguy wrote:On the Later allocation rounds they say"
We will not write to you again to tell you that we still cannot offer a place at a school that you listed on an earlier application. If you live outside of Buckinghamshire, we will let your home LA know if we can make an offer for your child at one of our schools. They will also let us know about any further offers at their schools for our children."

And early in the airing list they say we will contact you? Really confusing
Not sure, I have now moved into Bucks, so this should not apply to me, hopefully they will contact me directly.
vivekms

Post by vivekms »

sparklies wrote:I'm in a very similar predicament (also out of county, on waiting list) and have been wondering the same thing - which LA will tell me? I'm also wondering if places become available "immediately" as parents reject places and the place shuffle takes place, or only during round two.

The website is not completely clear.

I filled out Bucks' "Contact" form asking those questions, pretty much. Apparently it may take up to ten working days to get a response, but I'm hoping it won't be that long. I also asked our local LA too (same ten working day timeframe) if they had any idea too, along with some other questions I had. Our local LA starts list movement mid March, much earlier than Bucks - it actually gets two more rounds in before Bucks does their one.

I'll say if/when I hear anything.
I am not sure what happened this year, last year quite a few of DD's friends living in Reading/Woodley area etc got admissions in the first round itself.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

vivekms wrote:I am not sure what happened this year, last year quite a few of DD's friends living in Reading/Woodley area etc got admissions in the first round itself.
Have a read of the allocations thread. It tells a bit of a story of why allocation distances have (thankfully) shrunk for most grammar schools in recent years. Put simply, more local children are achieving the qualifying score so the grammar schools don't have to go out as far to fill their spaces and fewer children are having to make long journeys to attend them. That's a good thing for all concerned in my view. Siblings and other admissions rules might also affect numbers from year to year but the effect of those is probably minor compared to the main factor. Why are more local children achieving the qualifying score? Probably a combination of factors including housing growth, demographics, the rise and rise of tuition and perhaps more parents wanting to avoid what can be a pretty mixed bag of upper schools in Bucks.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now