Newstead Wood Test 2018 for 2019 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PettswoodFiona

Newstead Wood Test 2018 for 2019 entry

Post by PettswoodFiona »

No major surprise about the date but the selection test date of Friday 28th September 2018 is showing in the latest school calendar http://www.newsteadwood.bromley.sch.uk/ ... 018-19.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The formal admission documents haven’t been posted yet so this could be subject to change.
watbogs

Re: Newstead Wood Test 2018 for 2019 entry

Post by watbogs »

My DD told me that a girl in her class came into school late today because she 'sat the Newstead test'. When I said I didn't think so as the test was back in September she told me she'd seen her candidate number. Do they have test sessions in January - perhaps for those who were ill on the day of the main test? Seems a little unfair to hold the test so long after the main test, if so...
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I presume they have to have at least one back up date but it isn’t advertised. It would be just as unfair to deny them an opportunity for a test if they couldn’t make the first through no fault of their own, but then why so long after I don’t know, a broken arm at six to eight weeks to heal as a random example takes us to end of November. As NW age standardise the scores then the age at test will have a small bearing.

I know there are a lot of Indie tests at this time of year, and even this week, so it seems an odd day to have it at first thought but I am not aware of any local girls or co-ed Independent school exam clashes but haven’t looked on the websites to double check. DD wasn’t aware of any tests going on but as the school tend to do them in small rooms then it wouldn’t have been obvious to the student body generally unless they were in a room nearby and had the ‘exams quiet’ sign up.
Rashkav

Post by Rashkav »

I am new to this forum. My daughter is preparing for Bromley and Bexley test 2018. Could someone explain how the entry criteria to NW school is changing from last year?
Please tell me the format of NW test?
Grey824

Post by Grey824 »

Rashkav, from my understanding the admission criteria has changed as follows:

Previously it was as follows:
1) Offer made to girls within the 9 mile catchment in order of test score (so the top 160 scores got a place).
2) Offer made to girls outside the 9 mile catchment in order of test score if they were the daughter of a member of NW staff.
3) Offer made to all remaining girls who do not meet the above (so girls outside 9 miles).

As the school is massively over subscribed, they have never made offers to girls in group 3.

In 2018/19 it will be as follows:
1). Offer made to Girls within the 9 mile catchment who are in receipt of pupil premium and score within the top 350 girls.
2) Offer made to girls within the 9 mile catchment area in order of score or to daughter's of staff who live outside the 9 mile catchment.
3) Offer made to remaining girls

The entrance test is made up of a verbal reasoning paper which the girls have a set amount of time to complete and they complete this all in one go, I am not sure how many questions they have or the exact amount of time but in our preparation I ensured my DD was working at the speed of 30 seconds per question. She completed all questions and had time to check through the paper at the end.

However the non verbal reasoning test is split into 4 sections. The girls are told to start one section and have a set amount of time, when the time is up they have to put that paper aside and are NOT allowed to go back to it, when they are told to, they then complete the next timed section and put that paper aside and this continues until they have completed all 4 sections. Again we worked to 30 seconds per question and my DD had time to check her answers.

My DD only told me that she wanted to try for NW in July and she hadn't had a tutor so we were concerned whether we would have enough prep time. We spent 4 hours per week during the 6 weeks holidays practising various test papers and going through each question type. I signed her up to Bonds 11+ online tests so that she had practice and then for the last few weeks we worked our way through the GL official 11+ practice papers and sat them in real exam conditions. We did the non verbal reasoning exams in the same way that NW do theirs. We were under great pressure to ensure that we got the practice time in and most people spend years preparing for it so if you haven't already started then start getting her used to them now. I think the key issue is getting the timing right as the pressure really is on during the non verbal test.

NW also have a practice paper that you can purchase. I hope this make sense and is helpful.