Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Family1810

Appeal

Post by Family1810 »

My son missed out by 2 points. We are appealing on the grounds of mitigating circumstances. My concern is that my son’s school does not do SATS so I do not have any SATs grades to show in a appeal. He had no coaching for the 11 plus, and it seems so unfair that we should focus on SATS results to get in to grammar through appeal, when some children that have passed their 11 plus may only get a 4. His reading age is nearly 13 and he is 11 in July. His age was not taken into account for the test. Any advice how I can get around this problem, as this is my major worry.
Etienne

Re: Appeal

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

Lots of reading to do before we go any further.

For example:
The basis of an appeal against non-qualification should be the overall strength of the alternative academic evidence. You might win an appeal with strong academic evidence but no extenuating circumstances. You cannot win an appeal with extenuating circumstances but insufficient academic evidence.

Most good schools will be oversubscribed. In addition to convincing academic evidence, therefore, you are likely to need reasons for wanting a place at the school being appealed for (reasons that are sufficient to outweigh the prejudice to the school if it has to exceed its admission number). See C2.
Start here.

Once you've finished reading, if you still have unanswered questions, do please let us know.
Etienne
Family1810

Post by Family1810 »

Thank you.

This is so scary, and really don’t want too get this wrong.

1. son got 208 pass mark was 210
2. The child sitting opposite him in his vr test cried for half of the test, and stayed in the room. A letter was sent to grammar the same day as the test to confirm this and a external invigilator was present.
3. My son is very bright and takes everything in. His reading Age is 12 Years 11 months. He is 11 in July, but as said before the school do not do Sats.
4. He is on track for every subject, and we are really proud.
5. He has a older sister at grammar.
6. The grammar is in our catchment area.
7. Our nearest secondary school has just had a awful Ofsted.
8. All of his school reports are excellent, and I would be happy to show any his excellent behaviour is also always mentioned.

Should I just ignore the SATS part? And focus on his positives?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Family1810 wrote: Should I just ignore the SATS part?
Yes! You simply replace SATs with alternative academic evidence. The more, the better.
And focus on his positives?
It depends what you mean by "positives". If you include behaviour, then No.
Behaviour is not a criterion for grammar school entry.

Please read the Q&As first, so that you have a better understanding of appeals, and we can take it from there.
Etienne