If you didn't tick to share with other Grammars - read this

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
can'tthinkofone

If you didn't tick to share with other Grammars - read this

Post by can'tthinkofone »

A tweet just popped up on my phone from Gloucestershire CC.

It said if you didn't share your results with other grammar schools it's not too late. Tick the relevant box on the "waiting list form" on the website and names the schools you wish to share with.

https://twitter.com/GlosCC/status/971393140316954624" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kaybee

Re: If you didn't tick to share with other Grammars - read t

Post by Kaybee »

Um - surely Gloucestershire CC should be emailing this message out to all parents who have children who sat the test? (Many won't be on twitter or this forum!)
onthefence

Post by onthefence »

My first thought was that the GCC announcement is meant to deal with the Crypt situation but I am guessing not because Crypt had a huge number of 'shares' and the school has already contacted all of those. Is there a final offer to 'share' every year on the GCC website?
If it has been done to try and open up Crypt's options (I am unaware of any other problems), I imagine Crypt may get some interest from those near/south of Stroud who only shared with the Stroud schools but didn't get offered a place. It would potentially be the next nearest grammar if you are based that way. Or maybe some parents desperately wanted a co-ed school but thought they would get into Pate's and only shared with them? It all looks messy and needlessly stressful in any case.
I also wanted to query something in Crypt's website marketing that at least 30 per cent of the cohort will be girls? Can they know this for sure if they are so undersubscribed or are they seeking to guarantee this with their remaining allocations? I have an interest in that, although my son is going to Marling next year, my daughter is potentially interested in Crypt the year after so if there has been any feedback in the extra open events they have held it would be good to know.
Can’tthinkofone

Post by Can’tthinkofone »

It is strange. I wasn’t aware of anything like this happening with my children who are now year 7 and year 11.

I wonder what’s going on?
cazien

Post by cazien »

onthefence wrote:My first thought was that the GCC announcement is meant to deal with the Crypt situation but I am guessing not because Crypt had a huge number of 'shares' and the school has already contacted all of those. Is there a final offer to 'share' every year on the GCC website?
If it has been done to try and open up Crypt's options (I am unaware of any other problems), I imagine Crypt may get some interest from those near/south of Stroud who only shared with the Stroud schools but didn't get offered a place. It would potentially be the next nearest grammar if you are based that way. Or maybe some parents desperately wanted a co-ed school but thought they would get into Pate's and only shared with them? It all looks messy and needlessly stressful in any case.
I also wanted to query something in Crypt's website marketing that at least 30 per cent of the cohort will be girls? Can they know this for sure if they are so undersubscribed or are they seeking to guarantee this with their remaining allocations? I have an interest in that, although my son is going to Marling next year, my daughter is potentially interested in Crypt the year after so if there has been any feedback in the extra open events they have held it would be good to know.
Crypt have at least 30% girls from all those that have a been offered and accepted a place at Crypt. Obviously this could rise/fall when all PAN places are allocated (they are anticipating it will rise).
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Never heard of it before... and I am a self confessed glos 11+ geek..
onthefence

Post by onthefence »

Yes, my mistake. The front page of the Crypt website states that 'at least 30 per cent of the new 2018 year 7 entry will be girls' but if you click on the link the longer statement is more carefully worded if you read past the first sentence. I did wonder how they could possibly know their gender mix at this stage unless they had stipulated it in their admissions criteria. So, if they were indeed 70 places short on 1 March, the final proportion of girls for their 2018 Y7 intake could be anywhere between just under 20 to around 60 per cent, with 30 seeming like a reasonable minimum guesstimate. Apologies if my maths is not 11+ standard.
Prof Pat Pending

Post by Prof Pat Pending »

We shared with Crypt but didn't qualify and we didn't hear from them recently. So I assume they have only contacted people with scores they would accept (I know the website suggests appealing).
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Crypt definitely haven’t emailed everyone & anyone!! I know a few who weren’t far off the cut off who haven’t had emails. I know someone highly ranked for Pates who did tho.
Rachm82

Post by Rachm82 »

Same here. Shared with Crypt but didn't qualify. Thought we may have been close, as qualified for Ribston and Stroud High...but obviously not, as they haven't contacted us!