handwriting

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cordismith

handwriting

Post by cordismith »

One thing mentioned at dds parents evening was her handwriting, she takes so long to get it neat that she quite often doesn't manage to finish her work. She has alot of timed written sats homework this holiday and I'm seeing the same thing, her writing is very neat but she's only half way through her work when her time is up. How important is neat handwriting in the sats? And what exactly are they looking for? How many marks is it worth ie,is it worth worying about?
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Sorry I do not know anything much about SATS marking. Which parts of which papers is it that your child is practising? If you give more detail, someone who does know on this Forum may be able to answer, or others could search for an answer on the KS2 information that is available elsewhere on the web.

Even though slow and neat or fast and messy handwriting is probably not much of a hindrance at primary school, it may be worth exploring further what you and the school can do about it. Personally, I always feel that pupils who cannot write fast and reasonably legibly are at a disadvantage during GCSE and A' level written exams.

I am sure that this is something that it could be quite fun for a primary school child to put right, whereas by secondary age handwriting practice would be viewed as a chore or babyish.

Are you sure it is the handwriting that is taking up the time, and not the actual thinking up of what to say?

To separate out the handwriting speed from other factors, perhaps you could do some fun dictations and copying at home, gradually stepping up the pace against the clock. Would a different pen suit her better?

Good luck
chad

Post by chad »

You can find free mark schemes for 2007 KS2 sats here..

http://www.markschemes.co.uk/2007_KS2_ENGLISH.pdf

this is an extract..

SECTION F HANDWRITING
All pupils need to develop a serviceable handwriting style which is legible, clear and encourages the reader to engage with what has been written.
This assessment of handwriting is based on pupils’ ability to write legibly and fluently in a sustained piece of writing.
Judgements will be made on the basis of the legibility and clarity of the handwriting throughout the longer task, supported by a closer look at the size and position of words and letters.

The handwriting is legible and shows some features of regularity in size and spacing.
However, overall the script is disjointed and uneven.
1 mark

Overall, the handwriting is regular with some flow and movement. Letters and words are usually
appropriate in size and position but there is some variation.
2 marks

The handwriting is consistent and fluent with letters and words appropriately placed.
The handwriting maintains a personal style to engage the reader.
3 marks

So obviously handwriting does not attract many marks......

If you have a look at the marking scheme you can see what they are looking for.
mums

handwriting

Post by mums »

I was a school meeting yesterday re year 6 sats. The teacher mentioned that some children were running out of time because they were trying so hard to write neatly. We were told that they need to try and finish as much of the paper as they could, it's important that their handwriting is joined up, legible and hopefully of an even style. They could miss out on a lot of marks if they are worrying about making their writing very neat. My son is really quite an untidy writer, yet always does well and is off to Grammar school in September. However we have tried to help him with the presentation of his work for years (without very much success) I suppose he is never going to be the neatest of writers. Hope this is of some help. :)
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

You can gain upto 3 marks for handwriting on the longer writing task.

For the reading test, as long as the marker can read it, it doesn't matter. Spelling only matters on the actual spelling test which is a seperate paper from the other 3. :)
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

I suspect if your DD's hand writing is very neat then it is probably better then alot of her friends so why not tell her that in these tests she doesn't haveto make as brilliant as it normally is and instead she should work as quickly as possible in order to finish. The chances are with her 'not so good' handwriting she will probably do just aswell as most.

My son wasn't the neatest and is left handed but he still got a level 5 in English as I do recall the marks are given on content more then presentation.

You could get some old test papers and just get her to practise.

If your DD is anything like mine who is also miticulous about her writing she may feel offended that you would suggest she does anything but perfect writing so just be careful how you put it.

Mel
zorro

Post by zorro »

In a recent parent consultation My DS 's teacher said handwiting was not important. I was concerned as his writing tends to be on the small side but she wasn't concerned saying handwriting and spelling constitute asmall percentage of marks. It's more important to finish the work.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

3% is not significant - not finishing one of the papers is. Children need to work quickly and not worry about handwriting.

I don't think there is still a spelling test at KS2 - I thought it was assessed in one of the writing papers.
zorro

Post by zorro »

yes that's right I think she meant spelling in the writing piece as opposed to a seperate spelling test.
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

At every parent/teacher meeting since I can remember the only topic of conversation regarding my DS was the state of his handwriting. In all other areas he excels. I have tried all ways to get him to tidy it up but he just seems incapable. I really believe his brain works faster than his ability to write it down, hence the scribble! It doesn't help that they are told to join it up now...something I am sure we didn't do at school until senior.

All I can say is that he is off to grammar school in September and, hey, who can read a doctor's writing?
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now