WGHS exam conditions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ross.jones

WGHS exam conditions

Post by Ross.jones »

Hi,
Did anyone’s daughter sit their test in the main hall at WGHS?

My daughter did and came out freezing as it was very cold in the Hall.
calico11

Re: WGHS exam conditions

Post by calico11 »

My DD did. She didn’t mention it being cold. Although I was very cold and wet by the time they emerged in to the rain.
Ross.jones

Post by Ross.jones »

Thanks,
My daughter stated that all the large windows were open in the Hall, which I couldn’t understand as it was only 15 degrees that day.

Having seen the state of her when she came out we were sure this had effected her in the test.

I was wondering if any other children mentioned this?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Did you mention it to the school at the time?
Ross.jones

Post by Ross.jones »

Yes, I were told they would investigate it with the Vigilation Team. But didn’t get any rationale back.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Is the temperature in the room significant at present - are you looking at this for an appeal?
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Ross.jones wrote:Hi,
Did anyone’s daughter sit their test in the main hall at WGHS?

My daughter did and came out freezing as it was very cold in the Hall.
I am sorry your dd didn't find the temperature in the hall to her liking due to some windows being open.This is an issue which would likely have impacted all the applicants sitting the exam in the hall.Does your dd have any medical or other issues which would have impacted her more than the other sitters ?

I was there in the hall on the Friday before the Monday of the exam and I didn't notice any issues.I have been to many events in the hall over the last two and half years and not noticed any temperature issues.The hall is used regularly for school events on a daily basis including exams.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Ross.jones

Post by Ross.jones »

Hi, it was not some of the windows that were open it was all of them. My daughter stated that there were other children showing signs of being cold, as they were pulling their sleeves over their hands and continually folding their arms.

Would you happen to know if they have a standard room temperature they operate to?
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

Ross.jones

ATL considers normal level of physical activity like taking exams or in this case sitting the 11 plus to be 18°C.

I hope that helps.
um

Post by um »

While this is little help to what has passed, and I do feel for your daughter (I can't cope with the cold myself!) I would always advise children to wear a light t shirt with a really warm jumper/cardigan on top to the exam, because it's so difficult to know exactly what the temperature will be like.

My dd had the opposite issue - she took the QMHS exam during a big heatwave and it was baking hot!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now