Gloucester to Marling

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mcfly

Gloucester to Marling

Post by mcfly »

Hi all

My DS have won a place at Marling. Marling is a lovely school and my son is really looking forward to September - we preferred Crypt as we live near Over but due to this years changes we missed out. Our options seem to be the following

1. 66 or 66S bus from Gloucester bus station (we might board at Hempsted instead)
2. Train from Gloucester to Stroud
3. Ebley Coaches 16A bus from Quedgeley

Does anyone have any experience of any of these transport methods? Eg reliability, cost, frequency, are there many Marling or SHS students using them?

The train seems to he the fastest journey but it's a London bound train in the morning and it seems wrong putting an 11 year old on that!

TIA
McFly
Last edited by mcfly on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Gloucester to Marling

Post by kenyancowgirl »

You might want to read this thread:

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 16&t=53946" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently The Crypt have woefully underestimated how popular they might be, going co-ed, and have spaces to fill....you might be able to get your first choice after all?
mcfly

Post by mcfly »

kenyancowgirl wrote:You might want to read this thread:

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 16&t=53946" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently The Crypt have woefully underestimated how popular they might be, going co-ed, and have spaces to fill....you might be able to get your first choice after all?
Yes thankyou I've read that with much interest and we will appeal. But, as nothing is guaranteed, I'm exploring transport options to Marling too.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

I don’t really know much about transport to Marling only that the boys from our sch in the same position as you have researched it & decided if they don’t get Crypt on appeal they will take the train from Gloucester.
Good luck with your appeal, fingers crossed!
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

We live in the opposite direction to you & my DD is heading to Stroud. Sorry, I can't help with your bus questions. However, we tried out a trial run on the train a couple of weeks ago as DD had an INSET day as it was the shortest journey time. Whilst again we were heading in the opposite direction there were plenty of children heading to Marling, SHS etc on the train. The feedback that my DD gave was that she felt it was quite a long walk from the train station to the school. We missed being able to follow the school crowd as DD needed the loo but it was also across a quite busy intersection. (So not sure if existing students have a better / shorter route). However, I didn't feel comfortable that my DD would be able to manage that intersection age just 11 and in the dark in the winter.

I know this reply isn't exactly what you were after but hope it helps in way!
tabbycat

Post by tabbycat »

Hello mcfly, congratulations on your son getting a place in Marling!

My DD goes to SHS and we use Ebley coaches 16 A bus. It is always full of Marling, SHS students and also some Archway boys and girls though I think they have to walk up the hill from Marling. It has been reliable except for the recent delays through the road works but hopefully it is over by September! They liaise well with the schools and if the schools close early (snow day etc) the bus adjust the time and bring children early so that is quite good. The cost is £13 for a book of 12 singles but this may be different for you as our DD gets on and off from Stonehouse. No time limit either so you can combine with other method of transport (lift share, train etc). Ebley Coach number is 01453-839333 and they are pretty helpful on the telephone.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Octsmum, I think you may not have walked the best route from the train station. Most of the children walk towards the shops (not sure which platform you arrived at - you may need to cross the bridge) - there are traffic lights outside the post office, and then walk down the side of Poundland and use the lights outside Mcdonalds to cross the road. Turn left and keep walking, crossing a couple of side roads until you reach Beards Lane.

My DD will walk at least twice that distance to get to school every day but passes the train station and would be more than happy to meet up with your DD and walk with her if that helped.

She will be walking from the top of town with her friend if anyone else's DC needs someone to walk with.

Pixiequeen
Kaybee

Post by Kaybee »

We live near the train station in Cheltenham and I see lots of Marling and SHS pupils getting the train (I'm often on the opposite platform) It's a pretty easy walk from Stroud station to school too (and yes the route that pixie queen suggests is the best one) Had my son got into Marling (he's off to STR) he would have got the train too. I also found that it was quite a bit cheaper than the bus.
Jaethel

Post by Jaethel »

From what other people have posted, it seems that appealing to Crypt is quite likely to be successful for many people. Interesting to hear that a number of DSs with Marling places will be appealing to Crypt - good luck to everyone in that boat. I suspect it's less likely, but (as someone with a DD on the waiting list for SHS :) ) I don't suppose anyone on here has a place at SHS but is thinking of appealing to Crypt? :?:
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

pixiequeen wrote:Octsmum, I think you may not have walked the best route from the train station. Most of the children walk towards the shops (not sure which platform you arrived at - you may need to cross the bridge) - there are traffic lights outside the post office, and then walk down the side of Poundland and use the lights outside Mcdonalds to cross the road. Turn left and keep walking, crossing a couple of side roads until you reach Beards Lane.

My DD will walk at least twice that distance to get to school every day but passes the train station and would be more than happy to meet up with your DD and walk with her if that helped.

She will be walking from the top of town with her friend if anyone else's DC needs someone to walk with.

Pixiequeen
Thank you Pixiequeen! I thought we probably hadn't chosen the best route by the fact that all the children seemed to disappear from sight! Thank you especially for your offer of your DD to walk with - that's a lovely gesture. We've gone for the bus with a view that we'll use the train if she decides to stay later after school initially & probably more so as she goes up through the school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now