11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
vkv

Herschels Grammar School Waiting List

Post by vkv »

Hi There,

My DS scored 111 and we got an email from Herschel's saying that
Rank Order of Score: POSITION NUMBER 121
Distance Criteria: POSITION NUMBER 36

We live in Feltham. Is there any chance that my son will get on the waiting list?

Regards,
VKV
Last edited by vkv on Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkers

Re: Herschels Grammar School Waiting List

Post by Tinkers »

We rarely get feedback on how much the Slough schools’ waiting lists move on here. I do know the Reading and Kendrick waiting lists don’t tend to move much. I think the Slough schools may have more movement due to been closer to London (London area School WLs seem to move more). I suspect you could be in for a longish wait even if there’s a chance of a place though. You should know more once the deadline for parents to have accepted/declined places passes, which is this week.

Hopefully someone will know. How happy are you with the School you’ve been currently allocated?

(PS I’m guessing your DSs score of 11 is a typo. :wink: )
vkv

Post by vkv »

Tinkers wrote:We rarely get feedback on how much the Slough schools’ waiting lists move on here. I do know the Reading and Kendrick waiting lists don’t tend to move much. I think the Slough schools may have more movement due to been closer to London (London area School WLs seem to move more). I suspect you could be in for a longish wait even if there’s a chance of a place though. You should know more once the deadline for parents to have accepted/declined places passes, which is this week.

Hopefully someone will know. How happy are you with the School you’ve been currently allocated?

(PS I’m guessing your DSs score of 11 is a typo. :wink: )
Thanks for promptly replying and thanks, I corrected the score now :)

Thing is my ds cleared bucks aswell , since we are in Feltham, he dint get there as well and they have allocated a random school in hounslow which is not good at all.

Now I am thinking what should l do.

Any suggestions will be of great help.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Do you have any local schools you would be ok with? It’s worth asking if you can apply for those too. Even if they don’t have spaces you can go on the waiting list for them and depending on their admissions criteria you may be high enough to get a place.

This is why we also recommend putting down at least one school on the CAF that you are reasonably certain you will get and would be OK with, otherswise (as hashappened here) you could be allocated a school you really don’t want and/or is miles away.

Also note that you should accept the place given, as if you do not get another place from the waiting lists, the LA are not obliged to find you another place.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Honestly, it’s pretty unlikely the list will move that much. Hershel appoints by score rather than distance for most places, and as you live beyond their ten mile limit for so-called local” places, I’m afraid you need a higher score (usually 115 plus) rather than just a “pass” to be likely to get a place.

I don’t know who advised you to put your child in for the Bucks exam. All the places are on distance and Feltham is too far away for a place in any of them.
By putting your child in for the Bucks exam you have taken places away from Bucks children, as your childs pass has meant other children were pushed below the pass mark. Please tell your friends that Bucks places are all distance based (and have been for years) and if you live >12 miles from a Bucks grammar there is no point in applying at all.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Aethel wrote:Honestly, it’s pretty unlikely the list will move that much. Hershel appoints by score rather than distance for most places, and as you live beyond their ten mile limit for so-called local” places, I’m afraid you need a higher score (usually 115 plus) rather than just a “pass” to be likely to get a place.

I don’t know who advised you to put your child in for the Bucks exam. All the places are on distance and Feltham is too far away for a place in any of them.
By putting your child in for the Bucks exam you have taken places away from Bucks children, as your childs pass has meant other children were pushed below the pass mark. Please tell your friends that Bucks places are all distance based (and have been for years) and if you live >12 miles from a Bucks grammar there is no point in applying at all.
What Aethel said! I think that you are too far away for the Bucks and Slough schools. And for the life of me, I cannot fathom how parents can expect their children to put up with such a long commute, twice a day for potentially 7 years.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

To be fair there were children in my daughter's year from Feltham (BGS). This is some time ago now, but if people know of families with children who have hot in they will persist in sitting the exams. Still a terrible journey. The one I knew of had his mother taking him every day for 7 years.
Hopefully this will start to change as the allocation distances continue to fall.
scary mum
bndj2011

Post by bndj2011 »

vkv wrote:Hi There,

We live in Feltham. Is there any chance that my son will get on the waiting list?

Regards,
VKV
do speak to admission officer she is very helpful.
she will explained to you much better.
you will get the chance but have to wait at least till end of july.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

bndj2011 wrote:
vkv wrote:Hi There,

Regards,
VKV
do speak to admission officer she is very helpful.
she will explained to you much better.
you will get the chance but have to wait at least till end of july.
Is this correct? Have scores gone down as far as this is previous years?
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

From the historic data, it looks like some years yes, some years no.

With the increasing popularity and larger numbers applying, I think the OP should be realistic at the same time as being hopeful, and look to see they can get a place at a school closer to home that they would be happier with than the one allocated.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now