How to find an English GCSE tutor

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hopoe

How to find an English GCSE tutor

Post by hopoe »

DS is in year 10 and has asked me to find him an English tutor. I offered to help him myself but he declined, pointing out he’d rather have someone who understands the gcse process. I asked his teacher but she suggested I google. I did so, there are loads of websites but I’m a bit nervous of just finding someone over the internet. Any recommendations on finding someone who is competent, and safe? Thank you. We are in Merton south London.

We try to keep the forum as safe as possible - we don't allow tutors to be openly recommended, because it attracts posts with fake recommendations ('dodgy' advertising solely designed to solicit business on the internet).
It is also not unknown for unscrupulous competitors to 'plant' posts seeking to denigrate the opposition!
I
Genuine recommendations from forum members by PM only (private message) are permitted - but be aware of the possibility that someone who appears to be a 'helpful parent' offering advice may not be all they seem! There could be an ulterior motive.

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with great caution.
However, we have many long standing members (check carefully the date of joining and number of posts) who make a very valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a private recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering.

Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'.
It's easy to report a possible problem - just click on the red exclamation mark that appears with every post and PM: Image

Note:
  • • Institutional Course details can be found here

• Intensive Holiday Courses can be found here
Kind regards

ForumAdmin
ToadMum

Re: How to find an English GCSE tutor

Post by ToadMum »

hopoe wrote:DS is in year 10 and has asked me to find him an English tutor. I offered to help him myself but he declined, pointing out he’d rather have someone who understands the gcse process. I asked his teacher but she suggested I google. I did so, there are loads of websites but I’m a bit nervous of just finding someone over the internet. Any recommendations on finding someone who is competent, and safe? Thank you. We are in Merton south London.

We try to keep the forum as safe as possible - we don't allow tutors to be openly recommended, because it attracts posts with fake recommendations ('dodgy' advertising solely designed to solicit business on the internet).
It is also not unknown for unscrupulous competitors to 'plant' posts seeking to denigrate the opposition!
I
Genuine recommendations from forum members by PM only (private message) are permitted - but be aware of the possibility that someone who appears to be a 'helpful parent' offering advice may not be all they seem! There could be an ulterior motive.

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with great caution.
However, we have many long standing members (check carefully the date of joining and number of posts) who make a very valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a private recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering.

Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'.
It's easy to report a possible problem - just click on the red exclamation mark that appears with every post and PM: Image

Note:
  • • Institutional Course details can be found here

• Intensive Holiday Courses can be found here
Kind regards

ForumAdmin
:shock:

And his teacher didn't indicate what assistance is available to him in school...?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hopoe

Post by hopoe »

Thanks toad mum. She did send back an email outlining how she felt he was progressing in English, and which areas he needs to work on. She ended by saying he can find her outside of class time if he has any questions.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

hopoe wrote:Thanks toad mum. She did send back an email outlining how she felt he was progressing in English, and which areas he needs to work on. She ended by saying he can find her outside of class time if he has any questions.
Then personally, I would play the grown up (and holder of the purse strings :)) here and tell my DS to avail himself of what he is being offered for free, before I even considered paying for outside intervention.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mystery

Post by mystery »

Do you have a local Facebook group you can ask on to see if some people have personal experience of a good local tutor? Trouble is, finding someone with spare capacity is not going to be easy.
hopoe

Post by hopoe »

Thanks for your answers. Toadmum, I'm generally one for tough love, but in this case I don't mind considering a tutor, if only for a defined no of sessions. Not least because little brother has recently had a huge amount of effort invested in his education with the weekly sessions to help him with the 11 plus exam. I know I could help him, and he has accepted help from me quite well but ideally an outsider could be useful to bring some new perspectives and techniques.
I'm not on Facebook, but DH is so I'll ask him to put something out there.
What are good questions to ask when you are considering someone as a tutor? I'm assuming good knowledge of the curriculum, essay writing techniques, setting reading lists. Anything else I should look for?
Thank you
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

You probably want to start with the things the teacher has identified as development needs. To be honest, I'm with TM on this - it's not just about not spending when you don't have to, it's that the teacher genuinely knows your son's weaknesses and how best to improve. And you know they are qualified to teach the subject and dbs checked.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Agree with KCG and TM - in addition, many tutors are NOT up to speed with the new Engish curriculum so go with the help the school can give.

Teachers have access to a huge number of resources on Exam board websites which only they can access.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:Agree with KCG and TM - in addition, many tutors are NOT up to speed with the new Engish curriculum so go with the help the school can give.

Teachers have access to a huge number of resources on Exam board websites which only they can access.
However, on the subject of exam board websites, presumably either you or you DS have downloaded the relevant spec and all the publicly accessible resources from whichever one he is doing?
hopoe

Post by hopoe »

To be honest no I haven’t. But I just found AQAs site and am looking at it. I showed DS the teacher’s email and he said he is going home to go and talk to her tomorrow.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now