Appeal based on parental job?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
runnermother

Appeal based on parental job?

Post by runnermother »

Hi,
My son has not been offered a place our nearest grammar school. We are out of county; and the school states it does not have a "catchment area." We have been declined on grounds of oversubscription. He is 25th on waiting list.

2 points I'd like advice on if possible.

Firstly, over the past 3 years, several children living in our village, including 5 in our street, have gone to the school in question. Next year, providing they pass 11+, 2 siblings of the children in our street will also go. I'm assuming this fact will carry no weight at an appeal, but just wanted to check if it is worth mentioning, or best ignored? The fact that every child in our village who applied has got in for the past 3 years did of course lead us (and our son) to anticipate that we would get a place.

My second question is very specific to my circumstances. I work in the town where the Grammar school is located, 0.9 miles from school in fact. The nature of my job means I have late finishes. I am approximately 14 miles from the school my son has been offered a place at. If we are not successful at appeal I may have to leave my current employment, as I'm not comfortable with an 11 year old going home on public bus and being home for 3 hours alone. Is this something that could be used at appeal? My employer is happy to provide any supporting evidence I request.

Thank you in advance
Etienne

Re: Appeal based on parental job?

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

I assume you've seen all our general advice?
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

josacks wrote:Firstly, over the past 3 years, several children living in our village, including 5 in our street, have gone to the school in question. Next year, providing they pass 11+, 2 siblings of the children in our street will also go. I'm assuming this fact will carry no weight at an appeal, but just wanted to check if it is worth mentioning, or best ignored? The fact that every child in our village who applied has got in for the past 3 years did of course lead us (and our son) to anticipate that we would get a place.
Best ignored simply because it won't carry any weight! However, it would do no harm to mention it at the hearing if you happen to get a relevant question. Don't go out of your way to raise it, though.
My second question is very specific to my circumstances. I work in the town where the Grammar school is located, 0.9 miles from school in fact. The nature of my job means I have late finishes. I am approximately 14 miles from the school my son has been offered a place at. If we are not successful at appeal I may have to leave my current employment, as I'm not comfortable with an 11 year old going home on public bus and being home for 3 hours alone. Is this something that could be used at appeal? My employer is happy to provide any supporting evidence I request.
Yes. Written support from the employer might help.
Etienne
runnermother

Post by runnermother »

Thanks so much for response Etienne. I have had a good look at the website and found it very usefull! Thanks!

There is a question i would like to ask about the letter my employer may be able to write on my behalf, but its not something which is really appropriate for a public forum, can I send it via the appeals box?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

What does your DS do currently at the end of the school day? Have you investigated the availability of after school facilities at or near his allocated school where he could stay for a hour or so (school library / public library)? Or a childminder in your locality who could have him for a couple of hours? When our eldest started at secondary school, for the first year he walked back to our childminder's house on the days that she was picking his siblings up from primary school.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

runnermother wrote: There is a question i would like to ask about the letter my employer may be able to write on my behalf, but its not something which is really appropriate for a public forum, can I send it via the appeals box?
Yes, by all means.
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I wouldn't have thought a panel would regard this as a compelling reason for a school; many families have to juggle childcare and jobs.
He would be able to stay on site after school in the library probably until 5pm [check this with the school] and then he can travel to local childcare. Most children travel on public transport to Secondary.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I have no comment on the merits of the appeal but runnermother, I would like to assure you that your concerns about public transport and being home alone are probably misplaced. Unless there are particular reasons why your son is not suited to it, it's a perfectly normal routine for thousands of kids up and down the country. You'd be surprised how quickly the new year sevens take to it. Most enjoy the independence it confers on them, too. The bus is a great place to meet and make friends and often, the bus pass gets used at other times to meet friends in town on Saturdays, etc. My 12 year old nephew resents the occasions when he has to get a lift to school with his mum or dad rather than going on the bus.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I don't know if there are other reasons for wanting a place at this school.
Normally I'd agree that logistics tend not to be the strongest argument at appeal, but having seen the particular circumstances outlined in your email, I think I would be inclined to include it in your case. (This is not to say that your panel will necessarily find it persuasive - it is entirely up to individual panel members what they choose to give weight to.)

I did come across this sort of argument from time to time when hearing appeals. My feeling was that the less the parent wrote about it, and the more the employer presented this part of the case, the better!
Etienne
runnermother

Post by runnermother »

anotherdad wrote:I have no comment on the merits of the appeal but runnermother, I would like to assure you that your concerns about public transport and being home alone are probably misplaced. Unless there are particular reasons why your son is not suited to it, it's a perfectly normal routine for thousands of kids up and down the country. You'd be surprised how quickly the new year sevens take to it. Most enjoy the independence it confers on them, too. The bus is a great place to meet and make friends and often, the bus pass gets used at other times to meet friends in town on Saturdays, etc. My 12 year old nephew resents the occasions when he has to get a lift to school with his mum or dad rather than going on the bus.

Thanks for your reply. Its not so much the public transport and being home alone, but more the duration of time he will spend home alone; and the fact that both parents are far from home and unable to get home at short notice that bothers me. I appreciate your advice though.
runnermother

Post by runnermother »

Etienne wrote:I don't know if there are other reasons for wanting a place at this school.
Normally I'd agree that logistics tend not to be the strongest argument at appeal, but having seen the particular circumstances outlined in your email, I think I would be inclined to include it in your case. (This is not to say that your panel will necessarily find it persuasive - it is entirely up to individual panel members what they choose to give weight to.)

I did come across this sort of argument from time to time when hearing appeals. My feeling was that the less the parent wrote about it, and the more the employer presented this part of the case, the better!

Thank you, my employer is very happy to try and help.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now