Herschels Grammar School Waiting List

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

vkv

Re: Herschels Grammar School Waiting List

Post by vkv »

Aethel wrote:Honestly, it’s pretty unlikely the list will move that much. Hershel appoints by score rather than distance for most places, and as you live beyond their ten mile limit for so-called local” places, I’m afraid you need a higher score (usually 115 plus) rather than just a “pass” to be likely to get a place.

I don’t know who advised you to put your child in for the Bucks exam. All the places are on distance and Feltham is too far away for a place in any of them.
By putting your child in for the Bucks exam you have taken places away from Bucks children, as your childs pass has meant other children were pushed below the pass mark. Please tell your friends that Bucks places are all distance based (and have been for years) and if you live >12 miles from a Bucks grammar there is no point in applying at all.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I did check the straight line distance and it comes under 10 miles.

Regarding the Bucks , I take your advise and tell my other friends not to put them in the CAF

But just to share you that , I received email from bucks saying that If we move to that area, they are willing to offer a place in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Thanks for the advise.. Much appricate that..
vkv

Post by vkv »

bndj2011 wrote:
vkv wrote:Hi There,

My DS scored 111 and we got an email from Herschel's saying that
Rank Order of Score: POSITION NUMBER 121
Distance Criteria: POSITION NUMBER 36

We live in Feltham. Is there any chance that my son will get on the waiting list?

Regards,
VKV
do speak to admission officer she is very helpful.
she will explained to you much better.
you will get the chance but have to wait at least till end of july.
Thanks for the Response. Sure, will check with her and see what she says..
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The Bucks residents will advise better, but it’s a big risk moving to Bucks on the off chance of getting a place in the later rounds, so they don’t have lots of spaces come up and unlike other areas, there’s a few more successful appeals.

You would risk moving and still not getting a GS place and having potentially a no so great Upper School instead.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Well, the “local places” under 10 miles are a fixed number in the initial offers, so if you are not given them in the first allocation I’m guessing it’s just a case of wait and see.

Thinking more positively though, where can you apply now if you have not put any nonselectives on the CAF (which I’m guessing is why you were allocated a Hounslow school?) Are there any nearer schools that you can get onto the waiting list for (while waiting to see what happens regsrding Herschel)? Most importantly don’t just bank on Herschel and not sort out your backup option.

Can you afford an independent school?

If you are renting can you move to somewhere close to a non selective you like moree than your allocated school and go onto their waiting list as an in-year transfer?

All these things are non ideal, but you don’t have any place you like lined up at present and you must consider the worst case scenario of not getting that GS place by next year.
vkv

Post by vkv »

Aethel wrote:Well, the “local places” under 10 miles are a fixed number in the initial offers, so if you are not given them in the first allocation I’m guessing it’s just a case of wait and see.

Thinking more positively though, where can you apply now if you have not put any nonselectives on the CAF (which I’m guessing is why you were allocated a Hounslow school?) Are there any nearer schools that you can get onto the waiting list for (while waiting to see what happens regsrding Herschel)? Most importantly don’t just bank on Herschel and not sort out your backup option.

Can you afford an independent school?

If you are renting can you move to somewhere close to a non selective you like moree than your allocated school and go onto their waiting list as an in-year transfer?

All these things are non ideal, but you don’t have any place you like lined up at present and you must consider the worst case scenario of not getting that GS place by next year.
Thank you so much.... I will definitely consider your advice. Yes, we are thinking and exploring the independent school option as well.

River's Academy is one more option..

Really appreciate for responding and suggesting few options.
Nuguy

Post by Nuguy »

Hi all,

Just to let you know that my son has been offered a place in Herschel grammar school today, the waiting list has been updated today.
His score is 118.

All the best for those who still waiting
danny11

Post by danny11 »

Hi There,

My DS scored 111 and we got an email from Herschel's saying that
Rank Order of Score: POSITION NUMBER 121
Distance Criteria: POSITION NUMBER 36

We live in Feltham. Is there any chance that my son will get on the waiting list?

Regards,
VKV
Hi all, can anyone please explain how the place is given when there are 2 positions on the waiting list?
Is there any priority order?
Is the place offered according to the rank order or distance criteria on the waiting list?

Thanks