Berks Kendrick Appeals- looking for parents who did for info

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Caithlinn

Berks Kendrick Appeals- looking for parents who did for info

Post by Caithlinn »

Hello everyone,

my first post starts with a question, I have been able to use the resources of this excellent forum without having to ask questions before, all the info was available with a bit of a search. Now, however, and probably because the likelihood of success is apparently low, I need to ask after all: are there any parents who have appealed for a place at Kendrick School, who would be willing to share their story and any advice or info they may have? I am open to any advice or help, really, but figured that it might help to get info on appeals to the actual school first. I have not seen any data on appeals success at Kendrick (anyone? they keep that quiet, right? Not even with FOI?), however, at Reading Boys, for the past few years, none of the appeals have been successful, I believe. But one can but try, right?

I have read through all the advice on the board incl links and offsite info, heaps there, thank you, I have ideas and I have material, but at the end of the day, I am still standing up against a system that has done this a fair while, with experience, legal help, and the benefit of not having to start from scratch every time, plus more time to work on the case. The request for an appeal has to be in by March 29th, and apparently, it needs to be a thought through case already. I had previously been told it was a matter of stating to appeal and then having time to gather all your evidence at a slightly more leisurely pace. I am not worried about not being able to put a case together in the time as such, more about any pitfalls that people could point out or "must do's/don't's" that may make or break it.

My daughter did pass the bar, by almost 3 points, but obviously not by enough to gain admission on that alone with others achieving higher. We are in catchment, quite local, in fact, but the catchment is wide. This info only to clarify that we're not trying to get in without any grounds (happy to give more if needed).

So, any help would be greatly appreciated, here, PM or even in person/chat/call etc. I bake good cake and make good coffee, too... (or tea).

Thanks a lot for any help!

Caithlinn
Reading Mum

Re: Berks Kendrick Appeals- looking for parents who did for

Post by Reading Mum »

No appeals have been successful for Kendrick in years I am afraid. That doesn’t mean you can’t try but you need to be realistic about your chances. You will need to prove that your DD’s need for a place outweighs the school’s position that they are full. Unless you are appealing on some sort of maladministration that is.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

As RM says, there’s been no successful appeals for Kendrick in many years. I know of a couple of recent ones. Both extremely good cases, neither upheld.

The schools case is based on overcrowding I believe. Having a DD there I’d have to agree. In KS3 there’s 3 classes of 32 in a form. In most classrooms this is already a tight squeeze, and they wouldn’t fit in another desk. For some subjects in KS3 they have to split into 4 groups of 24 and 6 groups of 16.
Caithlinn

Post by Caithlinn »

Thank you both,

I know it won't be easy. I have no idea how good or bad our case could be, just wanting to try, since doing nothing doesn't feel right. I can understand that the school doesn't have more space, my argument is going more towards who gets in and why. I am disappointed that the criteria allow girls with a slightly higher mark from much further away to get in - without reference to circumstances or alternatives.

Ah well, I will try, nothing much more I can do.

Thanks,

Caithlinn
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Etienne will advise much better, and I might be wrong, but arguing about the admission criteria should not form part of your case.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

From the FAQ:
More general arguments such as “I think the admission rules should be different” are not going to impress an appeal panel.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

The only circumstances that are taken into account are:
1. looked after children
2. Pupil premium or service premium children in the designated area
3. everyone else in the designated area (in score order)

If the basis of your appeal is just that you live closer than someone else also in the DA so your DD should get the place then you will be wasting your's and the school's time in making the appeal.

The admission criteria have been published and, as long as they have been followed, that is the way it is. You signed up to them when you entered her for the exam.
Caithlinn

Post by Caithlinn »

Oops,

That obviously came across wrong, it is not all I am focussing on, I should have phrased that better. I am aware that I have to take the admission criteria as given.

Sorry for the misunderstanding,

Caithlinn
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Caithlinn wrote:Oops,

That obviously came across wrong, it is not all I am focussing on, I should have phrased that better. I am aware that I have to take the admission criteria as given.

Sorry for the misunderstanding,

Caithlinn
I wouldn’t bother mentioning it at all. It shouldn’t be part of your case as it isn’t relevant.
Caithlinn

Post by Caithlinn »

Understood!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now