Offer withdrawn after two weeks - general discussion

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Andypandy

Re: Offer withdrawn after two weeks

Post by Andypandy »

Have just spoken to WCc - the chap I spoke to believed there were about 10-15 emails sent out like ours. He said it was due to problems where sharing with Birmingham had been requested.
We will be placed on the waiting list and he advised me to appeal.

He confirmed that they would start the next round of offers next week but I’m not holding out much hope. Now need to get on the waiting list for her other choices!
Here_goes

Post by Here_goes »

KCG, I agree. I think there will be little, if any, movement on the waiting list. I am beyond devastated. If there had been no offer at all due to over subscription, of course I would have been gutted, but to have a place and then have it taken away feels cruel beyond measure.

I have spoken to WCC and there is little information forthcoming via phone. I am drafting an email as we speak.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

To be honest, you are probably better off with email anyway - keeping a paper trail is now VERY important. If anything is said on the phone, get the person's name and email address and send them a copy of any conversation you have, asking them to acknowledge receipt.
Here_goes

Post by Here_goes »

I have just spoken to our local authority regarding getting on the continued interest lists for our second and third preference schools. They have also advised me to appeal via my local authority as well as WCC. Has anyone got a view on going through two appeals portals?

Interestingly the admissions department at my local authority were horrified when I told them that my dd's place had been withdrawn after two weeks. He also agreed that it is unacceptable.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Here-goes & Andypandy ... I can't comment on your area's actual 11+ process, I only understand the Bucks system, however I am so sorry for you both (and the others) who have had this terrible error made - it truly is an awful/stressful time for you. Sending virtual hugs your way x x x
Heartmum x x x
Amber

Post by Amber »

Have you been allocated an alternative school? And is it one you named on your CAF? I can see this may have repercussions all the way down the chain, as it were.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Here _goes and Andypandy, I think it is very important that you find out which school your child should have been offered and appeal to that school too as I would have thought have your appeal would be strong for that school. That said I do hope that the school that was allocated will reinstate the withdrawn places on appeal. best of luck.
Here_goes

Post by Here_goes »

Thank you Heartmum. I feel as though I am carrying around a brick in my stomach today. It all just feels so unfair. And what a horrible experience for all the children involved. They are the ones who ultimately suffer.

We haven't been offered another place as yet. Part of my frustration is in the lack of information given, it's beyond thoughtless.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You've found the best place to help sort this out :)

It is a mess.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Here_goes wrote:I have just spoken to our local authority regarding getting on the continued interest lists for our second and third preference schools. They have also advised me to appeal via my local authority as well as WCC. Has anyone got a view on going through two appeals portals?

Interestingly the admissions department at my local authority were horrified when I told them that my dd's place had been withdrawn after two weeks. He also agreed that it is unacceptable.
No, you don't appeal twice - you follow the procedure for appeals pertaining to the Admissions Authority for each individual school concerned.

So your 'to do list' for submitting appeals might go:

School A, own admissions authority school, arranges own appeals - form from school, submit to school.
School B, own admissions authority school but uses its LEA's appeals service - form from (school's) LEA, submit to (school's) LEA.
School C, community school - form from (school's) LEA, submit to (school's) LEA.

You need to check the procedure for each. Remember that each new preference you may be allowed to add at this point triggers the right to appeal if you cannot be offered a place at that school.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now