RGS or John Hampden?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hamstermum

RGS or John Hampden?

Post by Hamstermum »

Hi, can anyone give me any advice on these two schools? I know there are older threads on the subject, but both schools have changed heads since then and I'm looking for some more up to date advice. Thanks.
kenyancowgirl

Re: RGS or John Hampden?

Post by kenyancowgirl »

With all due respect, this is a very vague question. You would be better giving some specifics that you would like to know about that you cannot find from visits to the school or the websites.

Where do you live? Distance is a major factor.
What is your child like?
What do they like to do?
Is pastoral care important to you or are you more interested in perceived positions on league tables?
What do you think of the schools now you have visited them - assuming you have visited them?

Asking vague qustions will only ever get vague answers.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Those are good questions.

Not to cast aspersions on the OP's motivations, but an honest response from some people would be:
kenyancowgirl wrote: Where do you live? Distance is a major factor. "Miles away but we will look to move if DC passes with a good score. Promise."
What is your child like? "Academic. He reads Brian Cox books."
What do they like to do? "Study, practice tests, driving around the country sitting tests."
Is pastoral care important to you or are you more interested in perceived positions on league tables? "Pastoral what? Is it linked to Oxbridge?"
What do you think of the schools now you have visited them - assuming you have visited them? "Not yet, but their results are very good."
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Naughty anotherdad....but I like!!! :wink:
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Hamstermum, there was a good thread discussing the two schools last autumn. Have a read here: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=52059" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The schools are on opposite sides of a very busy town; chose the one nearer you and easier to get to.
ash

Post by ash »

Hamstermum. Happy to try to answer any questions you have about John Hampden - my fourth boy starts there in Sep! The eldest started in 2006, so I've known the school for a while. :D
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Hamstermum , as many poster on this forum know, this is a subject very close to my heart :D

I've visited both schools many times (OK about 3 times each :oops: ), spoken to many people about the pros and cons, used this forum for its invaluable advice and i STILL couldn't decide which I liked best :lol:

Good luck with your research and in reaching a decision.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

anotherdad wrote: Not to cast aspersions on the OP's motivations, but an honest response from some people would be:
kenyancowgirl wrote: Where do you live? Distance is a major factor. "Miles away but we will look to move if DC passes with a good score. Promise."
What is your child like? "Academic. He reads Brian Cox books."
What do they like to do? "Study, practice tests, driving around the country sitting tests."
Is pastoral care important to you or are you more interested in perceived positions on league tables? "Pastoral what? Is it linked to Oxbridge?"
What do you think of the schools now you have visited them - assuming you have visited them? "Not yet, but their results are very good."
Could you two settle down please? :roll:

The OP does appear to be in or very close to Bucks, judging from her previous posts.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Sally-Anne wrote:Could you two settle down please? :roll:

The OP does appear to be in or very close to Bucks, judging from her previous posts.
Of course, sorry. :oops:

To be clear, my post wasn't aimed at the OP.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now