TYPE P - Help!!

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ambridge

TYPE P - Help!!

Post by Ambridge »

The good news is my daughter who sits the Bucks 11+ in October this year will be having proper regular tuition with a proper person starting in mid-May - however, I have been going through the various question types with her in the last few weeks which we have both grasped very well!! :lol:

However, Type P, IPS Daily Test Book, Test 20 Q2

360, 72, 18, 6, (...)

Answer is 3 which we finally got when my son (him of 12+ fame :roll: ) came in - however, I think I need to teach her to look out for these types but don't know what to say and I don't want her having bad habits (going through all sorts of maths trying to find the solution) before she starts with her tutor.

In other words, is there a 'rule' which says when you see a Type P treat it in one of these ways depending on whether it contains big numbers or small numbers???

Or is it just practice and becoming familiar with the different types?

Comments much appreciated :wink:

Ambridge x
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Ambridge

I didn't know you had a daughter taking the test this year!

I would always say if the numbers are getting small quickly, then probably dividing is involved. Getting large quickly then multiplication is usually part of the answer. Ensure your daughter understands the concept that to divide by 4 she halves and halves again, in addition to multiply by 4 she can double and double again.

Yes familiarity helps, you could easily make up some sequences yourself.

Patricia

link removed as no longer available.
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Thanks very much Patricia, and along with your comments, that link was very useful indeed - and now I know what to do with a Fibonacci, life just gets better and better :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards and thanks again

Ambridge x
Manana

Re: TYPE P - Help!!

Post by Manana »

I know this is a very old post, but I found it whilst searching for P-type questions.

Could somone possibly explain this to me-I can't do it!!?
Gottal

Post by Gottal »

Sorry, what is P type questions. I thought I knew all there was to know about 11+ but seemingly not and "panicking" lol!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

as patricia said it is probably division which is tehkey to this number series.

so looking at the numbers in the series

360, 72, 18, 6 ..(?)

the obvious one is if you divide 18 by 3 you would get 6..

now try another pair, 72 divided by 3 is 26 not 18, so I divided 72 by 18 to give 4....

360/72 is 5

series is divide by 5, divide by 4, divide by 3, so logically next one is divide by 2...

6/2 =3

knowing times tables really thoroughly helps as pairs or sets of numbers tend to jump out at you eg 21,7,3 18,6,3

dividing by 4- half and half again
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now