Would this ever go agsint you in appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Thirdandthree

Would this ever go agsint you in appeal

Post by Thirdandthree »

Hello, Im after a general opinion. We are preparing appeal information. My child has been ill in year 6 this has impacted the learning in autum and spring term with quite a number of days off. Whist this did not impact directly on 11 plus it has impacted progress in year 6 i.e predicted SATs results which we need to submit. Do we mention this or leave out this infirmation.
ToadMum

Re: Would this ever go agsint you in appeal

Post by ToadMum »

Thirdandthree wrote:Hello, Im after a general opinion. We are preparing appeal information. My child has been ill in year 6 this has impacted the learning in autum and spring term with quite a number of days off. Whist this did not impact directly on 11 plus it has impacted progress in year 6 i.e predicted SATs results which we need to submit. Do we mention this or leave out this infirmation.
Definitely mention it, preferably backed up by a relevant medical professional with regard to the actual condition and from your DS's teacher to describe the effect that it has had no his work / achievement - basically, if your DS's SATs predictions will be coloured by the health problems he has suffered, there should be an explanation of this. Please don't put something like, 'My son's results won't be as good as they should be, but there is a reason for this. Dr Bloggs will be happy to provide details, his number is...'. Nobody will be sending off for anything; if you want a document included as part of your appeal, you have to submit it to the panel yourself.
Last edited by ToadMum on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I agree with ToadMum.

And ideally there should be evidence of very high achievement before Y6, e.g. level 3s at KS1, and a Y5 report showing well-above average attainment.
Etienne
Thirdandthree

Re: Would this ever go against you in appeal

Post by Thirdandthree »

Thank you very much.
Sam10

Post by Sam10 »

Please could I ask what is deemed as well above average? In teachers assessment, is the last box in working in expectation deemed as above average, or does it need to be in greater depth for all three reading, maths and writing? Are you better just providing sats results above 111? Thanks you
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Above average would be 'greater depth' or 'above age-related expectations'. KS2 test results won't be out until July; probably too late for any appeal.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now