Lincs over subscription appeal help please.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sarah1865red

Lincs over subscription appeal help please.

Post by Sarah1865red »

Hi,
I'm looking for some advice on what evidence I need to support an over subscription appeal? I have spoken to my dd's primary head teacher today who agreed to write her a character reference. He also said he would state her high predicted sats results but not sure if it's needed as she passed the 11+ with a score of 273 which the school we have applied to said is very high - 220 pass rate but not sure what the top mark would be. Do I need any other form of evidence for academic achievement - I'm guessing not for oversubscription appeal, but not really sure?
I know I need to focus on why the school is right for my dd, but not sure how to get evidence to support that?
Thank you in advance.
Etienne

Re: Lincs over subscription appeal help please.

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
Sarah1865red wrote:I have spoken to my dd's primary head teacher today who agreed to write her a character reference.
:?
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... school#c38" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He also said he would state her high predicted sats results but not sure if it's needed as she passed the 11+ with a score of 273 which the school we have applied to said is very high - 220 pass rate but not sure what the top mark would be. Do I need any other form of evidence for academic achievement - I'm guessing not for oversubscription appeal, but not really sure?
No - unless perhaps there is strong evidence to show that she was expected to score even more highly than she did. This seems unnecessary if 273 was "very high".
I know I need to focus on why the school is right for my dd, but not sure how to get evidence to support that?
It will depend on what your reasons are.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Sarah1865red

Post by Sarah1865red »

Hi, thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the head teacher doesn't believe in grammar / selective schools and doesn't feel any child 'needs' them so is unwilling to give us anything more than a character reference with predicted sats results. This will be a very general letter so I'm guessing it won't carry any weight - would it be better to leave it out altogether?
Sarah1865red

Post by Sarah1865red »

With regards to her 11+ mark we had no idea what to expect so are more than happy with the result. She is working at GDS in all subjects and particularly excels in maths but is by no means a child genius so wouldn't want to argue she should've scored higher.

We have no medical / sibling / extenuating circumstances to support our appeal so guess I am going to have to think hard about the appeal letter itself. My daughter chose this school having looked around 3 and was drawn by the single sex element, the fact it had a competing gymnastics team and the academic challenge it would provide. I don't think we have a strong case but I'm willing to give it a go as she is still adamant it's the school for her.
Motherofdaughters

Post by Motherofdaughters »

Which school is it, Sarah?
273 is a very good score. Are you out of area/catchment?
Sarah1865red

Post by Sarah1865red »

KGGS. We live in the Vale of Belvoir and this is the first year our village hasn't got in. I'm not sure KGGS have a catchment as such, just nearest to the school after 'looked after children' and 'siblings'.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sarah1865red wrote:My daughter chose this school having looked around 3 and was drawn by the single sex element
Because .... ?

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... school#c36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sarah1865red wrote:Unfortunately the head teacher doesn't believe in grammar / selective schools and doesn't feel any child 'needs' them so is unwilling to give us anything more than a character reference with predicted sats results. This will be a very general letter so I'm guessing it won't carry any weight - would it be better to leave it out altogether?
Even though it may not count for much, I think I'd include it if only to show that you did consult the school.
At the hearing I suggest you mention the head's policy in passing (i.e. unfortunately she won't provide any specific support for a GS appeal).
I don't think we have a strong case but I'm willing to give it a go as she is still adamant it's the school for her.
I think you're right to do everything you can.
The odds may be against you, but one can never be entirely sure about how appeals will turn out.
Etienne
Sarah1865red

Post by Sarah1865red »

Thank you for the advice Etienne. Although it won't carry much weight, I guess having predicted sats results on the character reference highlights that her 11+ results weren't a fluke! I will submit it as you suggested and explain the situation.

Reason my daughter wants a single sex school is her strongest and most favoured subjects are maths and science - often labelled as boys subjects. She attends a gifted and talented programme for maths and the cohort are predominately boys. Although she enjoys the sessions content she feels less confident to speak out in front of all the boys so hides away in the corner and therefore doesn't get the most out of the programme. This programme is ran by our local comprehensive school and they have said it would be a 'conflict of interest' to put this in writing as they wouldn't support any potential students going to a grammar school. I guess I can put in in my appeal but unfortunately it is going to be hard to evidence. I could ask our head teacher to acknowledge her attendance on the gifted and talented programme in his letter (he may or may not do so) but that wouldn't demonstrate the need for / advantage of single sex schooling.

Really struggling with evidence...
Sarah1865red

Email content as evidence?

Post by Sarah1865red »

How ethical is it to use email content as evidence? I would it even be considered?
My daughter attends a gifted and talented maths programme at a secondary school at which her primary school is a feeder for. The secondary school will not confirm she attends this programme as they state it is a 'conflict of interest' to support a grammar school appeal for a child at one of their feeder schools. My daughter hasn't been offered a place at this secondary school so won't be going to that school whatever the appeal outcome. I can kind of see their point of view but unfortunately I think the appeal panel are going to want proof of attendance rather than me just staying it in my appeal letter.
I have confirmation that she has been selected for and attends the gifted and talented maths sessions from the secondary school in my email communication with them to try and get an official letter from them - could this be used as proof?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Please would you keep to one thread on Appeals:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a59" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
they state it is a 'conflict of interest' to support a grammar school appeal for a child at one of their feeder schools
From a legal point of view, the only school that can not support/recommend a child at appeal is the school being appealed for.

It's their choice, I'm afraid, but I see no reason why they couldn't write a purely factual statement such as "This is to confirm that X is attending a G&T maths class at Y academy". This ought to have satisfied their scruples - they wouldn't actually be giving a recommendation for grammar school.
(It may have been a tactical error if you told them exactly what the statement was for!)
....... my email communication with them ...... could this be used as proof?
I think so. Most appeal panels will understand that some schools choose not to co-operate where selective education is concerned.

With regard to the preponderance of boys in the class, I think it likely you would be believed.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now