HGS open morning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Caveman47

HGS open morning

Post by Caveman47 »

My DS and I are due to take up the offer of the HGS tour tomorrow morning.

I was just wondering if there are any questions I should be asking.

I've got a few....my son has a few but I would like to hear from those who have either been to the previous open morning or has a child there.

My son is quite excited but trying to act all cool.
helen0209

Re: HGS open morning

Post by helen0209 »

Now that you have accepted the offer, the questions are more likely to be around his interests - music tuitions, drama clubs, after school clubs, new CAD room, new Astro pitch, sports facilities etc.

You may want to confirm length of lessons, start and finish times of the school day, lunch menus, merit system, house competitions? The list is endless really. Find out who the Head of Y7 will be, ask about the Whitemoor Lakes trip he will go on next June. He will also do a sponsored walk in September. Ask about the PTA as you may want to join? Confirm the transition day date and if there will be an induction day when parents come as well and meet other parents / children from the same area.

Probably avoid ones like staff turnover - I asked that one at KEA and was told no one had asked that before!

Just enjoy it - you may just have questions as you go round so go with the flow.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

I'd echo - just enjoy the tour. Soak it all up and take a good look around, meeting key staff and seeing what other students are doing.

The dining area and outdoor (astro) areas seem to be what my son was keen to see!!

We started very quickly without the usual transition or settling in experiences. I wish we'd been able to immerse ourselves from the start as we did with his twin at QMGS

Have a great time. It will really bring it to life now you don't have to worry about tests and scores.
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

Oh wow this is brilliant.

Thanks.
Lategate

Post by Lategate »

DH says DS was most interested in the canteen, so asked loads of questions about that, and what do to do if you’re not feeling well at school. DH forgot to ask about equipment/stationary for next year. He said that he asked as questions arose on the way around. Main questions from me would be for the pastoral side, will someone support in case of difficulty settling/forming friendships (DS can be a bit of a loner) and do they have the same form tutor each year (staffing permitting) or do the year staff grouping change every year.
Enjoy, wish we were going tomorrow.
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

Once again brilliant info.

The funny thing is...I'm a teacher (lol) and still this whole experience is new.

Many things are in the parents guide booklet I printed off from the website.

The Astro Turf is definitely my son is interested in. He is a very keen footballer and really wants to be one when older. Anyway I've already started to calculate the price of the uniform and now the Astro Turf football boots. Oh dear. Lol
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Lategate wrote:DH says DS was most interested in the canteen, so asked loads of questions about that, and what do to do if you’re not feeling well at school. DH forgot to ask about equipment/stationary for next year. He said that he asked as questions arose on the way around. Main questions from me would be for the pastoral side, will someone support in case of difficulty settling/forming friendships (DS can be a bit of a loner) and do they have the same form tutor each year (staffing permitting) or do the year staff grouping change every year.
Enjoy, wish we were going tomorrow.
The form tutor and Head of Year remain the same throughout (providing they don’t move on). This is great as they really establish a good relationship.

They need to provide their own pens (need blue, black and green), coloured pencils, and calculator (Casio fx-85GT Plus), but all exercise books are provided by the school. The school also provides aprons for DT, cookery etc.

Just for info, coats and bags need to be dark in colour and not patterned - think it is detailed on the website.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Caveman47 wrote:Once again brilliant info.

The funny thing is...I'm a teacher (lol) and still this whole experience is new.

Many things are in the parents guide booklet I printed off from the website.

The Astro Turf is definitely my son is interested in. He is a very keen footballer and really wants to be one when older. Anyway I've already started to calculate the price of the uniform and now the Astro Turf football boots. Oh dear. Lol
You won’t see the main Astro today as the sports field is about a mile away - they get mini busses on games days. There is another Astro at school which the boys use before / after school and at break times, and it is also used for PE.

Uniform wise, they are quite happy for you to purchase the shirts and trousers from M&S, Asda etc. The logo’d / specific school uniform that you have to buy is the blazer, tie, PE and games top and shorts and games socks. Some boys wear school jumpers and some don’t - DS wore them in Y7 but not in Y8, so we have two unworn £30 jumpers in his wardrobe :roll: - hopefully DS2 will wear them!!

Word of warning - they are very specific about the type of footwear worn on the Astro so check they are the right ones before you buy them.
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

Thanks Helen.

This is very useful information.

My son has got up really early this morning trying to act like he isn't excited. Yeah right!

His school as a old-school uniform all this week and so he isn't wearing any uniform for the visit this morning. I hope that's ok.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Caveman47 wrote:Thanks Helen.

This is very useful information.

My son has got up really early this morning trying to act like he isn't excited. Yeah right!

His school as a old-school uniform all this week and so he isn't wearing any uniform for the visit this morning. I hope that's ok.
Yes, that’s fine. Even on transition day some wore their primary school uniform and some didn’t. Enjoy :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now