Kent Test 2008

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mad mum2

Kent Test 2008

Post by mad mum2 »

Does anyone have any news on whether the date for the Kent test is changing from Jan to Sept???? :roll:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

so far only teh consultation. See Sticky above.

general opinion seems to be that it will be Sept though
WesterhamMum

Post by WesterhamMum »

Everyone I have spoken to is 99% sure it will change (KCC, headmistress etc).

Have you looked at the regional section on this site? At the bottom of this now very informative Kent section are all the 'expected' dates for this year.

Thank you very much to the person responsible for updating this section it is really useful now. :)
shuff

Post by shuff »

If the September testing is agreed, does anyone know whether the results given in October would include scores? I ask this because living outside Kent and trying for the super selective schools in Kent we would obviously need the scores to know what to put down on the school selection form. I must also add that my son's Primary school have refused to give out any scores to any parent in the past! Having been through this nightmare of yoyoing between school and county twice before, I can see it happening a third time.
Because of the changes that may happen in September, it would be much more sensible to give scores with the Pass or Fail letter. What does anyone else think?
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Try asking KCC if they are planning a different method of informing parents about scores.

Why is your school so awkward about informing you? If KCC inform them of the score, isn't it your right to have the information?

What does your school do about the headteacher review ("appeal") prior to the results being made known?

Good luck
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Shuff - we also live outside Kent and my son sat tests for Bexley and Kent. We were offered our first preference school (in Bexley). I emailed Kent admissions to ask for his Kent score and was told that scores were available from primary schools. I had no trouble at all getting these from our primary school and am appalled that any school would withold this information. Does your school give any reason for doing this?

I think if Bexley and Kent (hopefully) have accepted that it makes sense for parents to know before completing the CAF whether or not their children have passed the 11+, they should also accept that parents need to know scores to help them assess a child's likelihood of being accepted at a super-selective grammar. Also, I think many parents choice of school might be influenced by whether or not their child had scraped through or had achieved a really high score. Again, I can't see why this information couldn't be made available.

I must say, I think Kent are leaving it a bit late if they are going to move the tests to September this year. Bexley told parents a few months ago that our tests would be in September.
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

I have read the following on another website

"The Government has now published the scheme for secondary school admissions it proposes to impose for entry in September 2009. The main changes are: (1) for grammar school assessment to take place in September 2008, full details below (2) there will now be four schools named on form.

There is now a period of consultation with admission authorities (mainly KCC, foundation and voluntary aided schools and diocesan authorities). Parents were consulted by KCC before the scheme was formulated. The consultation closes on May 8th, so a final decision will be made any time after that date. "

I think this is new news - but may not be. So I apologise if it is ancient.
ergo

Post by ergo »

KCC website just states that a decision will be announced in May with parents registering in June for test. I understand from friends with `friends who know` that it is inevitable that this will be the procedure. I have also been led to believe that scores will be known prior to submitting your caf application but again this is heresay.

I have a very young child (August birthday) who will have just turned ten when sitting the test so I am anxious about their ability to cope with sitting the test in one morning (out of county applicant). I do, however, welcome the opportunity to have some idea of their chances before applying to grammar.

I would imagine that lots more children would take the chance with the 11plus if it this new system does go through as they are more in control of their application if they know their scores. Will KCC be able to cope with increased nos of children?
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Well if they do let us know the scores advance, four places on the form sounds quite generous particularly if all schools are now Equal Preference (I presume they are now in Kent?)

It should hopefully increase the percentage of people who get one of their CAF choices.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

ergo - I understand your concerns about doing the Kent test as an out of county applicant and having to do all the tests in one day. My son did that this January and I was terribly worried about how he'd cope with the pressure. He'd already done the Bexley tests which were all on separate days but having to do 4 in one go just seemed cruel! He'd never experienced anything so pressured. Admittedly he's old in his year, but he went with a school friend who is quite young and they both coped really well.

A friend of my eldest son, who has a 31 August birthday, also did the tests two years earlier and he coped very well too.

I know it sounds daunting, but please be reassured that children do manage it, even the young ones. Don't think I would like to have to do it though! :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now