Times article "Selective schools have no impact on exam succ

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scary mum

Times article "Selective schools have no impact on exam succ

Post by scary mum »

An interesting article in The Times today. Apologies if it is behind a paywall, but I do know that at least one forumite has been able to access it
http://thetimes.co.uk/article/508f9dba- ... 91416644a6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In summary, it says that before any adjustments to the data there is a difference of about one grade per GCSE, however after adjusting for wealth, achievement at 11, IQ & genetics, the difference is less than 1%. Basically selective schools (whether by wealth or exams) show that if you take the children who do best at exams, they do best at exams.
scary mum
anotherdad

Re: Times article "Selective schools have no impact on exam

Post by anotherdad »

It's on the Telegraph site as well, not behind a paywall: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2 ... determine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

And the guardian’s version.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... study-says" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

And the Daily Fail's version :lol: :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... where.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

kenyancowgirl wrote:And the Daily Fail's version :lol: :lol:
Let me guess:

"Immigrant teachers ruin selective school pupils' results thanks to EU meddling and plunging necklines. House prices diminished."
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

anotherdad wrote:
Let me guess:

"Immigrant teachers ruin selective school pupils' results thanks to EU meddling and plunging necklines. House prices diminished."
They don't seem to know that grammar schools are state schools!
scary mum
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

scary mum wrote:They don't seem to know much at all!
Fixed that for you.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Do you agree with this statement from the article?:
Emily Smith-Woolley, also from King’s College and a co-author on the research, said this was not surprising. “These schools select on ability and achievement. We know that these are heritable.”

How can achievement be heritable? To me, achievement is attainment and you can be highly intelligent with a very different work ethic and not attain highly; you can attain highly and not do well at exams, etc. The list is endless as to why children do not get high enough marks to get into selective schools. What about siblings? Even identical twins can do very differently in exams. They can end up going to different schools as we often see in this forum.

Now, think about this. We have just received an email from my son's grammar school. He's in year 10 and they recommend that he studies 4 1/2 hours daily during the "Easter Revision Break". We are off to the beach and I doubt if those books will see much light! I'm even tempted to leave them behind! Now, is it any wonder that they do so well at exams? Meanwhile, our son's friend who has a sibling at a super selective, goes to a comprehensive school where even he thinks that the homework is a joke! His mother can contrast the teacher's approach where they think they could get him to get a 5 where at my son's school a 7 is met with a lukewarm smile, an 8 is properly acknowledged and a 9 gets you proper approval. All this with one year to go!

So, my point is that my son's friend should be similar in iQ to his sibling, but that the expectations are very different as they go to very different schools.

Salsa
piggys

Post by piggys »

anotherdad wrote:
Let me guess:

..and don't forget they must all be leftie social working vegetarian forriners. If only we could bring back the empire, Moseley etc etc.....
Mumski

Post by Mumski »

In truth this is not really very surprising to me and does not really support the case for a ban on grammar schools. Having compared the results achieved by the GS which my son attends and the comp where most of his friends go, if you look purely at the results achieved by high attainers (ie those with high SATS results) the difference is not large. However these articles don't seem to focus on the other advantages of a GS.

The comp I am talking about seems to push the bright children extremely hard right from the start to ensure that these grades are achieved. There is less focus on sports, extra curricular activities, values and leadership skills than in my sons GS.

The level of homework is incomparable with the comp giving a significant amount more than my sons GS. My impression (albeit limited to a comparison of these 2 schools) is that the selective nature of the GS allows it to focus on other areas which result in a more rounded education and a wider experience whilst still achieving slightly better attainments levels.