Computing in Grammar Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

chotunaru

Computing in Grammar Schools

Post by chotunaru »

It is quite interesting to see that some of the grammar schools and few independent schools do not have computer science in their Curriculum.. With the world revolving around technology I m surprised that ICT/Computing Is not a Subject in some schools. Some suggests that things will change and in future it may be included. how much likely that the most reputed preferredSchools like Tiffins will continue to do ICT (at the moment it is in only in Yr7 I think) and have Computing as a subject in all years? Any reply in this regard will be helpful to decide our choice of schools.. Thank you..
liceo_classico

Re: Computing in Grammar Schools

Post by liceo_classico »

Wallington County Grammar School has CS for the first 2 years I believe.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

ICT is not a good GCSE course - most schools teach computing skills within the curriculum ie spreadsheets in maths for example.

Many GS do offer CS GCSE but it is not a required subject to study Computing at university; maths is more important.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

My DCs' grammar school switched from ICT to CS about 5 years ago.
scary mum
Catlady

Post by Catlady »

SGS has Computer Science until year 9 - then it can be taken on as a GCSE subject
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It is pointless for us to answer the OP with specific schools.

OP - all schools have to list their curriculum so go on each website and look at the schools near you which you are interested in.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:It is pointless for us to answer the OP with specific schools.

OP - all schools have to list their curriculum so go on each website and look at the schools near you which you are interested in.
The OP's DS appears to have sat for Tiffin this time, so presumably that is the school of interest?

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 48#p648048
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx