French, German and Computer Science A-Level at SCD

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hera

French, German and Computer Science A-Level at SCD

Post by Hera »

I was surprised to receive an offer for DS to study A-levels at St Clement Danes sixth form which stated that 3 subjects French, German and Computer Science (one of which affects him) would only be taught out of school hours jointly with other unspecified schools. It give no details of where they would be taught. Is this a situation other people have experienced with sixth form study?
ToadMum

Re: French, German and Computer Science A-Level at SCD

Post by ToadMum »

Hera wrote:I was surprised to receive an offer for DS to study A-levels at St Clement Danes sixth form which stated that 3 subjects French, German and Computer Science (one of which affects him) would only be taught out of school hours jointly with other unspecified schools. It give no details of where they would be taught. Is this a situation other people have experienced with sixth form study?
Yes, our local Consortium schools sometimes combine classes. I know that the boys' RC bilateral school has hosted students from DS2's school (about a mile down the road); the same school arranged for one of their students - a results day applicant - to attend classes at DD's current school (just across the road, so a bit more convenient) for a subject which their timetable could not accommodate.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

I am under the impression that this is due to the dwindling number of students taking these subjects and /or the difficulty to find good teachers.

For reason number 1, the consequence is that different schools are trying to gather their students to diminish the cost to run the courses. For example, at my local grammar schools (which are single sex), from last September, girls and boys of the two schools are taught A level French and German together. For one language, It is cheaper to pay for two teachers than for four, as very often, two teachers are in charge of one A level course.

However, concerning languages, I have to say some places are still going strong! :D I know a college where there are two classes of year 13 student (and two classes of year12 students), some of whom are very strong linguists getting offers to study languages at Oxbridge and Exeter.
I wonder what the state of teaching languages will be in this country in ten years’ time…. :roll:

Concerning computer science, I understand that it can be very difficult to find excellent teachers as many computing graduates find it more attractive to work for engineering groups rather than working in schools…
Hera

Post by Hera »

Thanks for the feedback. I think my concern stems from the fact that the lessons will be outside normal school hours and the school does not say where they will be taught and which other schools are involved.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

That may be because they have not decided yet... Maybe rising your concern may help you to gather some information about the schools involved?
I know of a school paying taxi cost to get his A level students to another school (during school hours).
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Hera wrote:I was surprised to receive an offer for DS to study A-levels at St Clement Danes sixth form which stated that 3 subjects French, German and Computer Science (one of which affects him) would only be taught out of school hours jointly with other unspecified schools. It give no details of where they would be taught. Is this a situation other people have experienced with sixth form study?
Today's article : ‘Funding crisis’ poses serious threat to A-level music and languages

https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/fu ... languages/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Tbh, although for planning purposes (all of ours have / had after school activities which are more or less difficult to work round), I would be less concerned about classes being outside of the normal school day than trying to fit them in with the normal timetabling at either / all of the schools concerned. I know that the students from DS2's school walked at least one way, but I would have thought that depending on what can be arranged and on the distances concerned, providing transport would enable the most efficient use of time.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This is not new - schools were co-operating over A level options in the 1980s. However it should be clear where the A level will be taught and how students will get to another site.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Yes, AHS and AGS in Aylesbury had some joint A level classes for less popular subjects back in my day (1980s) and I know that some other Bucks schools have worked together in sixth form for years now. It's not easy in a relatively rural county but some schools are clustered together and it works.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Does anyone know if JHGS and WHS do the same (as they are next to each other and do joint drama productions)?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now