Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bina

Please advice me regarding appeal in Berks & Bucks

Post by Bina »

Need advice
My child scored 107 in Slough is there any chance that I could win the appeal
My child cat scores were good .But I m confused becaus their is 4marks difference that’s why is there any chance any Slough school I can get ?
Etienne

Re: Please advice me regarding appeal in Berkshire

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

The further away you are from the score required, the harder it is likely to be - but ultimately it depends on the strength of the case you're putting forward.

You've a lot of reading to do about appeals, and not much time!
Start here.
My child cat scores were good
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... ication#b4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi there my child also scored 120
With the score of verbal 118 Numerical 125.51 Non verbal 120.54
We applied for selection review but unfortunately it got unsuccessful
Please can anybody guide me if I appeal are there chances to win?
Please would you keep to one thread on Appeals:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a59" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With the reference to a review, this appears to be Bucks. I've changed the topic title to "Berks & Bucks".

Have you read How to appeal for a Bucks GS place 2018 ?
See Section D in particular.
Etienne
Bina

Re: Please advice me regarding appeal in Berks & Bucks

Post by Bina »

Hi I m really sorry actually first I posted but I thought some error coming and it’s not posting that’s why it’s again I posted. For bucks appeal Etienne please if I send u clerks notes can u check and let me know If I have a strong case to appeal?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Bina wrote:Hi I m really sorry actually first I posted but I thought some error coming and it’s not posting that’s why it’s again I posted.
Not to worry - you may sometimes have to wait for a post to be approved (anti-spam measure).
For bucks appeal Etienne please if I send u clerks notes can u check and let me know If I have a strong case to appeal?
Yes, you can email the notes - I don't mind having a look this evening.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 23#p108023" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Bina

Post by Bina »

I have sent u notes many thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Could you send me the headteacher's review form as well? (It would help to understand some of the clerk's comments.)

Please put "Bina" in the subject line, otherwise your email could get buried!
Etienne
Bina

Post by Bina »

Hi oh I m sorry
I have sent you headteachers report as well
Sorry for inconvenience
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks.

I think they probably turned down the review because Writing is not predicted to be at GDS ("greater depth"), and ideally the CAT score would have been a bit higher.
Unfortunately it is not possible to challenge the panel's judgement.

However, I do think the review process can be questioned on the following grounds.
Moderation: What academic evidence would have been acceptable? What objective criteria were being used?
Section B7: It is not possible to make a direct comparison between CAT and STTS, so why does the review panel make this direct comparison?
The CAT score is equivalent to the top 10% of the population - if this is not grammar school standard, what CAT score was required? What objective criterion was being used?
And why is there no comment on the strength of the rest of the academic evidence? Why is it being completely ignored in section B7?
Section C8: Why has the right-hand column not been completed? Why is there no assessment of the strength of the extenuating circumstances?
Conclusion 1: By what objective criteria did the panel arrive at this conclusion? If there were no objective criteria, how could the review process be consistent?

In addition to the very specific points above, you could use some of the other arguments in D4 of How to appeal for a Bucks GS place 2018.

See D11 for advice on the rest of your case.

With a score of 120 you really must appeal - but I'm not saying it will be easy.
How has your child progressed in Writing since October? Ideally you would have evidence of GDS by May.

You will also need some good reasons for wanting a place at the school in question:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See example of what you could write about the review in D11 of How to appeal for a Bucks GS place 2018.

The rest of your case should comprise:
1. academic ability (one-third)
2. extenuating circumstances, if significant (one-third)
3. reasons for wanting a place (one-third)
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... school#a43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Bina

Post by Bina »

Thanks a lot for your great help n support
I was very busy as I have applied for appeal
Now asking school for supporting letter and academic progress which he made since October.What else can I show them?
He has travel sickness specially on long journeys.He feel nauseated and vomits also in car .We always take sick bags with us while traveling and for bucks exams he travelled to different county more than 1 hour drive .Do you think this point worth to mention.Do
You think headteacher recommendation 2:2 that’s was the point of being unsuccessful?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Bina wrote:He has travel sickness specially on long journeys.He feel nauseated and vomits also in car .We always take sick bags with us while traveling and for bucks exams he travelled to different county more than 1 hour drive .Do you think this point worth to mention.
No. It was your choice to enter him into exams so far away. It isn't an extenuating circumstance in the same way a health condition is. Your son's travel sickness could have been managed, perhaps by staying locally the night before the test.

It begs the obvious question: If your son has travel sickness on long journeys, what do you plan to do if your appeal succeeds and he is allocated a place at a school some distance away in Bucks?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now