So confused...Waiting List / Rank Query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mulv2222

So confused...Waiting List / Rank Query

Post by mulv2222 »

So my daughter sat the late test on March 22nd. She is apparently ranked 373 for SHS but 843 for Crypt? Is that just that SHS a have set the pass mark lower? Then Crypt went on to say that she could /should appeal if there is extra info available?

So confused... Will rank 373 on SHS be high up the waiting list or way down??

Please help. I'm completely new to this, we only looked at the familiarisation booklet, that was the only prep she did and obviously now I'm thinking she should have done more...
Last edited by mulv2222 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eromdap

Re: So confused...

Post by Eromdap »

I am guessing that your dd has been ranked against existing registrants for the test where 1 is the top ranking. As more children's test results were shared with Crypt than SHS it appears that she had a lower ranking for Crypt. However, only 70 or so chose Crypt as their first choice on the CAF which was submitted back at the end of October. This has resulted in Crypt being undersubscribed in the March 1st allocations.

On March 1st SHS offered places to girls who had put the school as first choice down to a ranking of 375, so I think adding you dd would be worth a try.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I wouldn’t worry too much about the crypt ranking...they set the bar at 600 and are happy to fill the remaining places on appeal...if you have good alternative academic evidence and prefer crypt then appeal..you have nothing to lose and may well gain a place.
mulv2222

Post by mulv2222 »

So do I have to do something now to add her on to the waiting list for SHS?

I will have a read as to what I need to do to appeal for Crypt... Her CAT tests are good, I think ok but not amazing, all around 125ish but she never finishes so could /should be higher, though how 'good' do they need to be? She didn't finish her CEM test either, she ran out of time on a couple of sections...
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Yes I think you should be able to add on the the SHS wait list phine the school to ask the process...and CAT scores around 125 are well Above average ..so definitely appeal...good luck
Jaethel

Post by Jaethel »

Congrats to your dd. I think she has a good chance for both schools, especially given that Crypt still has another 70 places to fill :). As someone with a dd also on the SHS waiting list, may I ask were there many others sitting the late test with your dd? Hoping to manage my own expectations :?
mulv2222

Post by mulv2222 »

Jaethel wrote:Congrats to your dd. I think she has a good chance for both schools, especially given that Crypt still has another 70 places to fill :). As someone with a dd also on the SHS waiting list, may I ask were there many others sitting the late test with your dd? Hoping to manage my own expectations :?
Thank you :)

My daughter was one of 5. Pates was! First choice but she only ranked 620 so not able to go on the waiting list. I say that because its possible that the others girls SHS wasn't their first choice either. I think we'd prefer SHS to Crypt but seeing as neither are in the bag I may as well appeal and see.
Jaethel

Post by Jaethel »

mulv2222 wrote:
Jaethel wrote:Congrats to your dd. I think she has a good chance for both schools, especially given that Crypt still has another 70 places to fill :). As someone with a dd also on the SHS waiting list, may I ask were there many others sitting the late test with your dd? Hoping to manage my own expectations :?
Thank you :)

My daughter was one of 5. Pates was! First choice but she only ranked 620 so not able to go on the waiting list. I say that because its possible that the others girls SHS wasn't their first choice either. I think we'd prefer SHS to Crypt but seeing as neither are in the bag I may as well appeal and see.
Thank you too :) - good luck whichever way you choose.
mulv2222

Post by mulv2222 »

Sorry for the endless questions but...

If SHS has offered a place to rank 375, does that mean that if we sat the test in Sept with everyone else, my dd's rank of 373 would have been offered? Does that mean we should be fairly high up on the waiting list??

Jaethel - do you mind if i ask what rank your daughter is? You don't have to tell me, i'm just trying to understand how it works?

onthefence

Re: So confused...Waiting List / Rank Query

Post by onthefence »

The scores are weighted mysteriously according to age when the test was taken so it is possible that your daughter would have been higher up the rankings in September. Or maybe the weighting system was flawed and perhaps she would have scored lower, having not yet completed the Y6 curriculum which is pretty important for the maths questions, at least. You are where you are. I would guess you are high up the waiting list for SHS but you may learn more if you contact the school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now