Difference between 2:1 and first honours degree

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
berks_mum

Difference between 2:1 and first honours degree

Post by berks_mum »

What is the difference between 2:1 and first honours degree (78%)? All masters programs ask for 2:1 degree.
Sorry, some areas of UK education system still confuse me.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Difference between 2:1 and first honours degree

Post by kenyancowgirl »

In brief, Degrees are awarded in classes. The best is a First Class degree, then a 2.1 (a higher 2nd Class degree), then a 2.2 (a lower 2nd Class degree) and a 3rd. Generally all of these are "with honours" although around the 3rd Class, it might not be awarded "with honours" as it is only one up from a fail.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Masters degrees will want a first or a 2:1 - the chance of getting a) a place b) funding is probably greater with a first.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

These days I think a first is usually 70% and above (& I think a 2:1 is 60%+, but I might be wrong about that).
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:In brief, Degrees are awarded in classes. The best is a First Class degree, then a 2.1 (a higher 2nd Class degree), then a 2.2 (a lower 2nd Class degree) and a 3rd. Generally all of these are "with honours" although around the 3rd Class, it might not be awarded "with honours" as it is only one up from a fail.
All classes are 'with Honours'; below a 3rd is a pass degree ie without Honours.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Some universities hand out far more firsts than others. The Royal Academy of Music awards 70% of its degrees at first class and the rest at 2 (1). The average number of firsts at most universities now is way way higher than it used to be. DD was miffed to discover last year that her university gives out one of the lowest proportions. When I was a student, the number getting firsts was tiny - one was given in my department in my year and that was the first for 4 years. Young people must be getting so much cleverer.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

.... :shock: It'll be all that testing from practically in the womb, having an impact, Amber....!!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

scary mum wrote:These days I think a first is usually 70% and above (& I think a 2:1 is 60%+, but I might be wrong about that).
really? Back in my day 70% was the threshold for a 2:1 - I know as I just squeaked in with rounding ;)

Almost no one got a first
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Things have definitely changed.
The only two people I knew with firsts at my university were genuinely very very clever and independent thinkers.
15 years on my niece went to the same university and she was very different. She's hard working but not especially clever but she got a first too.
A friend told me that some universities award their degrees on a proportional basis eg 10% firsts, 30% 2:1s etc (obviously I've made up the numbers) Does anyone know if that's true and, if so, where?
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

I can remember 20+ years ago my mother (who hadn't been to university herself) being quite disappointed that I'd 'only' got a 2.1, and me trying to convince her that it was actually quite a good grade that I had actually worked hard for!

I think she thought (and possibly still thinks) that a second class degree is the equivalent of a second class citizen or a second class stamp!! :roll: :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now