Stroud High house selection

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Skip

Stroud High house selection

Post by Skip »

Hi All, does anyone know how Stroud High allocates the children to the Houses?
smileandsparkle

Re: Stroud High house selection

Post by smileandsparkle »

Sorting Hat :lol: :lol:

Sorry I couldn't help myself! I actually don't know - I know siblings will get sorted into same house as their siblings - other than that as far as I know its random allocation. Although, I know when I went to Ribston, our primary headteacher asked for the 3 of us to be split up into different houses :roll: so I don't know how much manual input there is. Are you desperately trying to avoid Slytherin? :D
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

I think it's pretty random. DD1 and DD2 were not in the same house. Your house is the same as your tutor group and the tutor groups are decided according to the girls wishes to be (or not be) with their friends.

Not sure if you could request a particular house - don't see why not if you weren't also asking to be with particular friends
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I believe it is generally random, although like the sorting hat it will take your wishes into consideration.
I have just sent a similar email to Marling as my son wants to be in carter like his older brother was.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Am I missing something? Why is which house you are in important in any way?
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Amber wrote:Am I missing something? Why is which house you are in important in any way?
Well for my lad it's purely a sibling thing, but I have to say some ties look good, others look a bit yuk..
Skip

Post by Skip »

Thanks for the replies. The reason I would like to know is my DD has often been excluded / ganged up on by a couple girls in primary who are also likely to put SHS as a first preference and all are expected to pass. I wouldn't go as far as saying she is bullied as that would be overstating the issue but would like her to be able to have less contact with those girls if possible. I could select a different school but SHS is her and our first choice in other respects. I think minimising the day to day contact is all that is needed and I assume they are taught together according to the house they are in? I understand Marling selects via surname whereas Pates selects on a different basis. So if I know how SHS does it I hope to avoid even having to raise it.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Skip wrote:Thanks for the replies. The reason I would like to know is my DD has often been excluded / ganged up on by a couple girls in primary who are also likely to put SHS as a first preference and all are expected to pass. I wouldn't go as far as saying she is bullied as that would be overstating the issue but would like her to be able to have less contact with those girls if possible. I could select a different school but SHS is her and our first choice in other respects. I think minimising the day to day contact is all that is needed and I assume they are taught together according to the house they are in? I understand Marling selects via surname whereas Pates selects on a different basis. So if I know how SHS does it I hope to avoid even having to raise it.
Speak to the school! They have control as to which house/form all the new y7s go into. Some like to keep children from primaries together others actively discourage it so they can all make new friends. If in doubt (& esp where a historical problem exists) you can ask for your DD to be in a separate form/house.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Skip wrote:Thanks for the replies. The reason I would like to know is my DD has often been excluded / ganged up on by a couple girls in primary who are also likely to put SHS as a first preference and all are expected to pass. I wouldn't go as far as saying she is bullied as that would be overstating the issue but would like her to be able to have less contact with those girls if possible. I could select a different school but SHS is her and our first choice in other respects. I think minimising the day to day contact is all that is needed and I assume they are taught together according to the house they are in? I understand Marling selects via surname whereas Pates selects on a different basis. So if I know how SHS does it I hope to avoid even having to raise it.
All new starters get a visit from in year 6 (from Mrs Utting I think) - they usually ask if they would like to be in a class with current school friends, she could do as my daughter did "definitely not"
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

+1

We too had some concerns over being in a tutor group with certain individuals & SHS has advised us to state when my DD gets her visit next term to say who she wants to be with (if anyone) or if there's anyone she wants to avoid.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now